Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vorian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Quick question concerning Bootcamp and the installation process. I've been reading around, and it looks to me like the only thing you really have to dedicate to running Windows is the HDD space. But I've heard from other people (I think, I could be imagining it) that you have to also allocate RAM to Windows.

Ex. You have 2GBs of RAM. you allocate 1GB to Windows and 1GB to OSX.

SO my question is, is this true? if it is true, does that mean when you are running OSX, only 1GB of RAM is registered, or does Windows only borrow the other 1GB while it is running?

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Quick question concerning Bootcamp and the installation process. I've been reading around, and it looks to me like the only thing you really have to dedicate to running Windows is the HDD space. But I've heard from other people (I think, I could be imagining it) that you have to also allocate RAM to Windows.

Ex. You have 2GBs of RAM. you allocate 1GB to Windows and 1GB to OSX.

SO my question is, is this true? if it is true, does that mean when you are running OSX, only 1GB of RAM is registered, or does Windows only borrow the other 1GB while it is running?

With bootcamp, Windows has complete control of your hardware (all of it). It is just like any other computer running windows. You either boot in OS X and control all of the hardware. Or boot in Windows and control all of the hardware. Even though windows can't read the drive or partition with OS X won't stop you from erasing it using normal windows tools and vice versa with OS X.

When people talk about allocating ram to Windows is when they are running it under Parallels or VMware Fusion. In that case Windows runs as a program within OS X. There you dedicate as much ram as you want, the more the better because that affects how the virtual machine performs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.