Hardware damage from Hard Resets?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxap, Feb 16, 2012.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys,

After updating to Lion 10.7.3, my MBP (Mid-2010) started to crash. When it happens, the system becomes very unresponsive (the famous beachball) and I have to hard reset my laptop. It had happened to me before with Safari, so I had to switch to Chrome. Now I have the same problem, which is probably related to the use of the latter: there are many users experiencing the same issue with their MBPs and Chrome.

I am not going to use Chrome anymore for a while and am curious to know the following. Do you think the frequent hard resets can damage the hardware of a laptop? I can imagine that the processor runs quite hot and when you manually switch the system off and then on again, it goes from hot to cold and again to hot. Maybe it is also bad for other internal components of the laptop (GPU, RAM, hard drive) What do you think?

Thanks for your replies in advance...

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've never heard of hard resets directly causing hardware problems, but I don't think is necessarily out of the question as startup/shutdown puts the most stress on the computer. I would take it in or give them a call and see if there's anything you can do to eliminate the problem.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Since you probably upgraded from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 using the incremental/point updater, I would recommend you install the Combo Updater for 10.7.3. This sometimes corrects issues.

5. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks for your replies, guys!

I indeed contacted Apple and the guy on the phone told me to clear the Safari cache and to do other things, which are not so useful, in my view.

I think that Chrome is causing these frequent crashes: I have just reformatted the hard drive and am going to do a clean install of Lion. Then I will apply the Combo Update 10.7.3 and will switch back to Safari. I hope it will solve those nasty issues.

Edit: I have 4GB of RAM.