Hardware factors to consider when editing video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bonked, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Bonked macrumors member

We've got a 2.0 Ghz Macbook (integrated GMA950 graphics) and an external hard drive we've been using to import, edit, and save iMovies, using a DV camcorder. The process is slow but bare-able. I'm wondering how much of a difference we'd see if we bought a 20in iMac 2.66 Ghz. What aspects of the hardware influence using iMovie? CPU matters I'm sure. But what about graphics chip, frontside bus, etc? Would we really see a big difference in terms of editing/saving going from the Macbook to the iMac?

Thanks!

2. macman7002 macrumors regular

Hey!
    Yes, CPU does matter, frontside bus and the graphics card do impact the performance in video editing, you would defiantly see a speed boost with the iMac, however the choice is yours for if you think you would be better off editing on an iMac versus a MacBook. With the iMac you would also have a 20 inch screen.

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Video cards doesn't have that much impact over final cut. The only issue i have is with 2 video cards, the render effects in the A button don't work. But the video card only really matters with like motion.

But CPU and Ram really matter. Have at least 2 gigs of ram minimum. A core 2duo in the imac will work fine. The Xeon only really goes up to 800 when utilizing compressor. For DV the imac will work fine.