Hardware failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Jun 21, 2016.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

ive recently restarted my Mac which I don't do very often but it was becoming slow and some items would t remove from trash.

Since then it has failed to work correctly. It will make the bong noise and a load bar will reach 20% before shutting down. Recovery won't work. Pressing D after restart brings up languages but then it shuts down.

I closed it and it randomly restarted and showed the account user log in screen,before shutting down again.

I spoke to Apple who said I need to get service. Which is of course 3 hours away and 6 days before next appointment.

I don't have a USB with me to try and reinstall but based on the above,does it sound like hardware related issues?

2. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Which Mac do you have? Model wise. It could be hardware failure.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sounds like a typical symptom of a failing hard drive.
    And - yes, need to know which Mac you have.
    Specific model would be nice, such as "Macbook Pro, 15-inch, Late 2011"

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

It's the late 2015 retina MacBook Pro retina 15" high end stock model 8,1 I believe.

How can SSD fail. LOL.

It will probably take a week to fix with my luck

5. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Just because it's 2015 doesn't mean it won't fail. Possible defect.

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

The year doesn't really matter, just the rarity of SSD failure.

It won't boot to USB either so it's likely hardware failure.

I'm going to travel to a AASP tomorrow and who knows, they might get it working in a month or so. Based on previous experience with Apple repairs.

Ugh. Technology

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I have just travelled to an AASP only to be told the technician is on holiday and won't be back for two weeks.

Great.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Install a copy of the OS onto a flashdrive or an external drive, and try booting that way.

Any better?

9. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried that and it won't boot.

Everything I try to do manages to work for 10 seconds before it shuts itself down.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It sounds more and more like a drive failure.
    Your Mac runs a self-test on the drive on every boot. If the test fails (or takes too long), the firmware will test the storage again. Third time fail will just shut down. That's likely, given the 10 seconds that you wait.
    Sometimes you can bypass that self-test with an alternate external boot, but some failed devices will not let you boot from anything until the device is removed from your Mac.

You can try calling AppleCare again, ask if they will send you a box to ship your MBPro to the repair depot.

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've had the mac looked at and it is the battery that was failing!

The entire top case is being replaced.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think that only replacing the battery is unlikely to fix all your issues with the SSD.
    Hopefully you won't be wasting your time, and the shop will replace the SSD, too.

13. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

It's been replaced. Everything passed "stress tests" and the entire top case was replaced. (battery, trackpad, keyboard, speakers, microphone)

Working fine now, but very strange that the battery was the issue, since it did still turn on for a while.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2016 ---
    The Mac wouldn't stay on for more than 10 seconds to do anything! No recovery, no hardware test, no safe mode. Nothing.

But it works now after the battery replacement.

14. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Since the problem with the battery was diagnosed, I don't see anything to indicate a problem with the drive. Note that the user could not boot from a different drive.