Hardware (graphics card) or software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, I've noticed this week that my 2010 13" MBP hangs a lot when it plays any videos I've bought off of itunes (it's fine with other videos). I mean anytime a itunes video pops up on my itunes player, the whole computer hangs (beachball of death and can't do anything). And it hangs for quite a bit (haven't timed it but a minute maybe?)

At first I thought it was the graphics card as the first time I realized what was causing my computer to randomly freeze up (it's been starting to do that this week but at first wasn't sure what cause itunes was in the background) it gave the wierd color bars on the video screen for the video it was playing (I have itunes play the video in the small box on the left bottom corner). Like the whole video screen was random fubar color bars and not the video (it took a minute and then eventually played fine after me reclicking the video). It has not done that since.

I played around with it and noticed it seems fine when I play videos I have not bought off of itunes but it reliabley hangs the whole computer when I try to play a video bought off of itunes. It eventually plays but it is really annoying particularly cause it holds up my whole computer until it resolves whatever issue it is.

So, hardware or software and any suggestions if it is software on how to fix it?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Reset PRAM and SMC
    2. Repair permissions and verify the disk with Disk Utility
    3. Run Apple Hardware Test
    4. Reinstall OS X