Hardware in roof space?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jifop, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jifop macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but, is it a bad idea to put hardware in a loft? I would like to put my apple timecapsule, cable modem and a couple of nas drives in my loft! mainly just to get them out of my way but also for security! Is this a good idea? Presumably they will be exposed to slighty colder and warmer conditions than in my house but not a great deal? Should they be within an enclosure of some kind? Maybe just a cupboard? Will they need a fan for more airflow? However they are currenty in a cupboard downstairs and are just fine!

Thanks guys!

Timbob

2. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

How hot are your summers? How cold are your winters? How humid is your loft? If it isn't "livable" in your loft, I'd be hesitant to keep equipment up there, unless it was designed for outdoor use.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, where do you live? Around here, (U.S. Midwest) a "roof space" not intended for living in is called an attic. A "loft" is an interior space. But, the dictionary definitions are virtually interchangeable.

Anyway, if the space is not heated or cooled, as the rest of the house is, I wouldn't put any electronic equipment up there. Or, have you actually taken the air temperature up there on the hottest and coldest day of a given year? How do you know it's not much hotter or colder than the interior?

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

The operating temperatures of most electronics is supposedly from about -10/15 to about 65/70 celcius but i think the humidity is probably a more important factor, particularly in a cramped non ventilated space like an attic. Which i imagine could be factorised in the US.

I'd be tempted to get an air con unit up there, maybe put it in a cabinet n obviously if theres a hole in your roof, dont even go there!! :0

PTP

5. jifop thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm thanks guys, I figured it wouldn't be adviseable! I'm in England

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I wouldn't - my loft is about 2 degrees above ambient in the winter (i.e. if it's -5C overnight it's -3C up there) and sometimes goes over 50C in the summer. In fact I don't put anything up there that I value anymore.