Hardware Issue or Software Bug?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikeydlaw, Apr 17, 2011.

1. mikeydlaw macrumors newbie

Just recently my screen on my Macbook Pro has started playing up, see screenshot. Is this likely to be hardware or software related? I did drop my laptop about 2 months ago from a considerable height which left a reasonable dent in the top right corner of the screen, however it has only started playing up in the last few days.

I have a 2010 model, 15 inch, i7 with OSX 10.6.7

[​IMG]

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Looks ok to me. :confused: What are you whining about? :p

J/K...

Ouch. That does not look good and I tend to think it's a hardware issue because you said you dropped it.

How does it look during the boot screens? If things look goofy during the boot screens then I think you are definitely looking at a hardware problem.

Have you created a separate user account? If the screen looks OK in a brand new user account, well then you got lucky and you can spend some time looking for a software issue.

But judging from the way it looks combined with the fact you dropped it, I'd say give Apple a call and see if they can help you. Do you have Applecare? If yours is a 2010 model, there is nothing stopping you from buying AppleCare before the 1 year anniversary of when you bought your machine. AppleCare isn't cheap but it's a lot cheaper than replacing a motherboard or screen.