Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biykm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Dear everyone! Thanks for reading this threat. This is Hardware Newbie. I am thinking of buying nMB 12' as my second computer due to it's portability. And my preferred spec would be i7 cpu (I know it's m7), 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. But I don't know which CPU (m3, i5, i7) should I choose considering my needs and the performance durability.

Here's my needs:
i. do the coding in Python
ii. connect to external monitor (probably 2k but not 4k) and external web camera.

After read the testing report and threats on Internet, it seems that m3 is the best choice in terms of the performance consistence. However, I am not sure on few things: (1.) is m3 sufficient to my needs, (2.) would the intensity of my daily routine (e.g. multi-tasking including running the programme ) be as strong as 10+ runs of Cinebench? If not, should I just go for i7?

Testing I read: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tained-cpu-load-10-runs-of-cinebench.2073415/

I know these questions are dumb, but any feedback and user experiences are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Cinebench is a benchmark program. Unless you are a person (like EugW) who loves routinely running benchmarks, creating fancy graphs about benchmarks and discussing benchmarks, forget Cinebench. This is like measuring how much horsepower your car has.

I don't think the CPU speed matters that much for the MacBook 2017 because of the thermal throttling that kicks in for prolonged processes. I have the maxed out i7 and I doubt if I get much more than 10% more than the entry level CPU.

The MacBook's thermal throttling is significant. I transcoded video on my rMB 2017 and my MacBook Air 2013; the four year old computer was about 10% faster in processing the video. That's a real world task, not some benchmark.

And since you're coding in a scripted language and not compiling, you really don't need have any special CPU requirements. Just buy whatever MacBook you want based on RAM and storage.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Jayderek

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Cinebench is a benchmark program. Unless you are a person (like EugW) who loves routinely running benchmarks, creating fancy graphs about benchmarks and discussing benchmarks, forget Cinebench. This is like measuring how much horsepower your car has.

I don't think the CPU speed matters that much for the MacBook 2017 because of the thermal throttling that kicks in for prolonged processes. I have the maxed out i7 and I doubt if I get much more than 10% more than the entry level CPU.

The MacBook's thermal throttling is significant. I transcoded video on my rMB 2017 and my MacBook Air 2013; the four year old computer was about 10% faster in processing the video. That's a real world task, not some benchmark.

And since you're coding in a scripted language and not compiling, you really don't need have any special CPU requirements. Just buy whatever MacBook you want based on RAM and storage.

Best of luck.
Actually, the benchmarks are quite telling IMO. The throttling of these machines happens at a much higher level than in previous years, and the non-throttled performance is also much higher than in previous years. This is easily reflected in the feel of the machines. The 2015 feels noticeably slower in comparison.

In contrast, the i7 doesn't seem to have much that much performance advantage over the m3 in 2017, either at initial runs or after extended usage, so the advantage would be far less noticeable for the 2017 i7 vs 2017 m3 vs the 2017 m3 vs the 2015 m3.

But yeah, if there are no extended compiling sessions necessary, then the m3 may be fine. However, if this were my only machine, and the machine I use to make money, I'd probably get a MacBook Pro instead. But then again, I'd also probably get a 4K monitor too, and the MBP would drive that much better. I don't have a 4K screen hooked up to my MacBook, but there are several reports out there that the MacBook struggles with that. Furthermore, by default, it will only run at 30 Hz. There are special things you have to do/get to make it run at 4Kp60. OP, are you really wanting to forego 4K?

Once you have used a Retina screen, decent sized 2K monitors don't look great. But then again I'm biased by knowing what I'm missing. I run an iMac 27" Retina with an iMac 27" non-Retina as an external monitor, and the difference is totally obvious and the non-Retina can be quite irritating. The way I compensate is to run less Retina-critical stuff on the non-Retina monitor, like banking webpages for example.

The other factor is how portable you really need it to be. I love having a 2 lb MacBook, but my main machine is as mentioned a dual 27" screen iMac. I don't need big horsepower in my portable. Furthermore, the single port on the MacBook is irritating. You need specific dongles just to be able to run a monitor and charge the machine at the same time. And some people have issues trying to run a monitor and a USB drive at the same time, not to mention charging on top of that. For me that's not an issue because I don't use an external monitor with my MacBook.

And finally, the MacBook's keyboard and TouchPad are just merely OK. The keyboard and TouchPad on the MacBook are noticeably better. This may be important to you as a coder. I suggest you try them out in person.

EDIT:

You say second computer. Would you do most of your work on your other computer, and just occasional stuff and on the road on the MacBook? Then the m3 may be fine. But factor that against what I've mentioned above.

For me the m3 MacBook works, but I value portability more than average. Most of my colleagues though went with MacBook Pros, since the laptops ends up being their main machine most of the time.

Last edited:

biykm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Thanks for the Feedbacks above!

I would vote for portability coz I have the desktops at home and office which are sufficient to do my work.

For my desired laptop, I would do the coding and presentation when I am working outside the office sometimes. It seems that m3 would be enough.

But I do use the video streaming a lot but no gaming. The external monitor I mostly used is a normal lcd (I got a dell u2515h but i seldom connect it by laptop). And I want my laptop lasts at least for 3 years (like my former MacBook Pro retina). Should I go for i5 in this case?

Also, please correct me if wrong, it seems that the cpu was overload during the cpu test. Will I entercounter the same situation based on my regular usage? If not, should I go for i5 to get the better performance? I would prefer the cpu being under utilised rather than over utilised lol...

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like the m3 would be fine.

With regular usage, you would likely not cause the CPU to throttle significantly. If you were doing long compiles then yes, but the performance drop wouldn't usually be huge anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. And if this were a major factor for you, I'd recommend a MacBook Pro instead.

As my thread suggests, there is basically no reason to get the i5 except to get a 512 GB SSD (since 512 GB is not offered with the m3). If you really want a performance increase, it would make more sense to get an i7, but in your shoes I'd recommend sticking with the m3.

biykm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Sounds like the m3 would be fine.

With regular usage, you would likely not cause the CPU to throttle significantly. If you were doing long compiles then yes, but the performance drop wouldn't usually be huge anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. And if this were a major factor for you, I'd recommend a MacBook Pro instead.

As my thread suggests, there is basically no reason to get the i5 except to get a 512 GB SSD (since 512 GB is not offered with the m3). If you really want a performance increase, it would make more sense to get an i7, but in your shoes I'd recommend sticking with the m3.
thanks! then I would go for m3!!:)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
thanks! then I would go for m3!!:)
Did you buy one yet? If not, note that there are a lot of configurations available refurbished. Apple refurbished devices are decent deals. 15% less than MSRP and brand new warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.