Hardware overclocked my TiBook from 867Mhz to 1Ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JRDN, Jan 24, 2016.

1. JRDN, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

JRDN macrumors member

JRDN

Following this guide I got my 867 TiBook up to 1Ghz! It was really easy. Just bridge one connection with solder and remove an adjacent resistor. Thankfully it was under the back cover and I didn't have to remove the LB.

Redid the thermal paste on the CPU with MX-4. Removed the thermal pads and used K5 Pro with copper shims for the other thermal spots. Completely cleaned out the inside. Using a belkin F5D7010 802.11g card to get G speeds.

I usually boot this machine into Tiger rather than Leopard. I found that 10.4.11 is much snappier than Leopard for this machine. I have a workaround to get my Magic Mouse working in 10.4. Paired up with an IOGear USB bluetooth that works OOB.

Geekbench score:
    • 867Mhz: 487
    • 1Ghz: 563
    [​IMG]

System profiler and Geekbench shows 867mhz just like the guide said it would. But, installing CPU Director from PowerLogix (which doesn't work on 10.4.11 BTW) it shows the correct clock speed of 1000 Mhz :D

867Mhz:
    [​IMG]

1Ghz:
    [​IMG]

A decent improvement.

Got this running Diablo I and Diablo II!

I also upped the graphics clocks on the Radeon 9600 as well.

[​IMG]

Base graphics clocks:
    • 200.25mhz Graphics Processor
    • 200.25mhz Memory
    Overclocked graphics:
    • 274.50MHz Processor (+37.08%)
    • 243.00MHz Memory (+21.35%)
    If I increased either option another increment I would get graphics distortions. This is the highest I was able to get the graphics clocks on my particular machine

OpenMark Score:
    • Stock: 968
    • Overclocked: 1331

Some beauty shots of the machine. Some scratches here and there but it's in great condition. Only thing it needed when I got it was new speakers (originals wouldn't work) and the latch button was replaced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Colemak keyboard ;)
    [​IMG]
    I average around 20-25 FPS, which is absolutely playable!

If you're looking to do this it's really easy. I can translate the instructions if google translate still doesn't make sense to you.

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Nice man!

3. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Very impressive. Are you Gamoul the originator of the mod?
    I note that the mod write-up was in 2004, and I can't help wondering how well the TiBook has held up since, especially regarding the thermal increase.
    I have a spare logic board from a 667MHz, but if I understand correctly reading the mod comments, this wouldn't be recommended, as the 867MHz modded machine has 2 fans, whilst the 667MHz model has only one (if my memory serves me correctly).

4. JRDN thread starter macrumors member

JRDN

I am not the originator of the mod. Just happen to find it looking around at overclock mods for macs. I'd be curious to see what it's up to with the voltage increase. I didn't seem to notice any alarmingly high temperatures at all. This board was meant to go to 1ghz for that model.
    As for the graphics chip, I had it running OpenMark as I aimed a heatgun at the hottest point under the keyboard. Only was 44C.

I am unsure about the 667 model. VGA? and does it have the same resistor PLL config as seen from the photos? Maybe bump it up to 867 ;)

5. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I've just checked my spare board and the PLL config looks completely different to that shown on the 867MHz board. So that closes that avenue of thought.
    You're up early if in US. Or in Europe?

6. JRDN thread starter macrumors member

JRDN

I'm sure there's a way to adjust it... but finding out how is something else entirely.

Up late ;) and US

7. swamprock macrumors regular

Good stuff. I have the same 667 machine that CooperBox has and looked into this myself. I got pretty lucky to find this machine with tight hinges and in the condition it was in, so I decided to leave it stock. I love to read about mods like this, though. Yours looks to be in great condition as well.

8. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

I know on some powerbook boards the resistor names are the same. So if you find a guide for one version, you might be able to find resistors with the same names (in different places) on a different version.

OP: nice work!