Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris-red

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
Hi all,

My Parents wanted a tablet a while ago so I got them an iPad Mini, it has been great for them until recently.

It seems to have some kind of severe hardware issue. It's difficult to describe but were it a PC I'd assume the Graphics card to be at fault, The screen gets artifact all over it the sometimes just seems to die altogether, you may get a few seconds of it working find then it will crash, I believe it is just the display that crashes rather than the unit as when/if it comes back it will be on the same screen.

What's really annoying is they hardly use it, so much so the device externally is immaculate, it is only 18 months old.

Is this fixable? all the websites I see offering to ipads seem to just specify screens/buttons etc.

Thanks,
Chris

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
18 months and I assume no Applecare? You can have Apple fix it and pay for it, or rather buy a new Mini 2 or 3 at discounted prices.

Shirtin

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
It might be better just purchasing a refurbished iPad mini 2. Apple will charge you some money to give you a mini 1 replacement. Maybe you can sell the mini 1 as is to someone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.