Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomppah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Few weeks ago I got a brand new (Mid-2014) 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro and I was all smiles.. for 3 days. When I closed the lid, put the laptop to sleep in my laptop bag and opened the laptop next day it was completely dead.

I thought "ok, maybe it has crashed" because the power was plugged on and so I tried to restart the computer. Nothing happens, I only get a very light Apple starting sound but black display. I tried resetting PRAM and SMC with the key combinations but absolutely nothing helped.

I talked to one of my colleagues about it while I couldn't believe my only 3 days old Mac had just died and he said that he had the same issue with his Mac 3 months ago and had to get the logic board changed. Right.

So I took the Mac to the Apple authorized service and 3 days later I got my Mac back. They changed the complete logic board... which fixed it.

Today another colleague suddenly had the same problem. Three weeks old 15" Retina MacBook Pro. His battery had drained and the computer couldn't recover from that - how can battery drain destroy a logic board?

Have I and my colleagues been just extremely unlucky and/or received a bad batch of MacBooks or is this a more common issue? I would imagine it's not very cheap for Apple to change ~$1500 parts or whatever they charge for the complete logic board these days.

aquilc

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2014
Malta
Was the Macbook hot maybe by running Apps which uses the nVidia Graphics card before, you closed it and put it in a carrying case right there and then?

When my Macbook gets warm, and I plan to turn it off and put it in my carry case, I wait for a few minutes after I switch it off, so that it cools down, and no condensation occurs around the laptop, which could damage it.

Also I don't think that putting a computer into sleep for a night, would drain all of its battery.

Did you try to connect your MacBook with an external display, after you attempted to turn it on?

It seems very odd that it has happened to more than 1 person under these circumstances (same computer model, to a group of people who work at the same place, and a short period of time??)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.