Hardware probs with 2010 Macbook 2.4 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agjohns44, Jul 16, 2015.

1. agjohns44 macrumors newbie

So I had been experiencing kernel panics extremely frequently on my Macbook Pro, and after trouble shooting it myself I decided to take it into the Apple Store and check it in for more in depth testing. The next day, they called me and notified me that my hard drive was failing and it would cost about $160 to fix. I decided to instead pick it up and do the surgery myself (I consider myself a pretty tech savvy person). I also took this opportunity to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. After replacing both my hard drive and RAM, I have been experiencing too many problems to even remember. My exact list of events in the past 36 hours are as follows:
    1. Used Time Machine to back up my entire system on 500 GB external hard drive. (Format of EXT is Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    2. Replaced my hard drive and RAM with these two products using instructions from ifixit.com (https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13"_Unibody_Mid_2010):
    500 GB New Sata 2.5" hard drive for Apple Macbook & Macbook pro
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001S35Y5E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    Crucial 8 GB Kit
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBJFM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    3. While I replaced the parts, I kept myself grounded so that static shock would not ruin any components of the install.
    4. After I replaced the parts, I booted up my Macbook to a blue screen with a folder sign with a question mark.
    5. Plugged in my external hard drive that I used to back up my previous hard drive, and this prompted me to a standard startup (apple logo w/ a loading bar) and took me to OS X Utilities.
    6. Selected "Disk Utility" where I selected the new internal hard drive, formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) under the "Erase" tab, and then pressed "Erase".
    7. Went back in OS X Utility and then selected "Restore from Time Machine Backup" where I selected my external hard drive as the back up, selected my new internal hard drive as the restoring drive, and started the restoring process.
    8. After about an hour and a half, the restoration was complete and my Macbook restarted.
    9. After restarting, my screen was light blue for about 30 minutes so I decided to turn it off because the fan was running extremely high.
    10. Decided to unplug my external hard drive and turn it back on. Went back to the blue screen for 10 minutes and the fan was working hard so I turned it back off.
    11. Plugged my external back in and tried turning it on. After pressing power button, I help down the "option" key. That supposedly prompts you to a screen to select your start up disk. Instead, screen stayed black and beeped probably 5-7 times before I held the power button to shut it up.
    12. Left my hard drive plugged in and turned it on without any hot keys. Turned on properly and I got as far as my home screen. Ejected my External hard drive and about 15 seconds later the screen went weird and then went black. So I decided to shut it off and come here on a different computer to elaborate on the problem.
    If I had to guess, I'd say that one, or both, of the products I bought are messed up, but I don't wanna invest in more hardware until I know for sure. On the customer reviews for both products I purchased, there are complaints about these not working for 2010 Macbook Pros. However, for every 1 person complaining there's 10 who are thanking the product for how well it's working. The hard drive I received was Hitachi brand. If you have any ideas on what could be wrong or need more info about my situation feel free to respond. I need some help. I am running OS X Maverick

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your RAM could be bad. That'd explain the no booting.

3. agjohns44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I replaced the new RAM with the original RAM to see if that was the case and it did start up properly but I encountered a kernel panic within 5 minutes. I took the stickers off the new RAM so I'm guessing that may have damaged the new sticks

4. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I would just redo the whole setup. I mean erase the Hardrive reformat it connect to your external Hardrive.