Hardware Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abhinavn, Jun 26, 2009.

1. abhinavn macrumors newbie

OK guys so I have this hardrive connector that I got from my friend and I have an internal hard drive. The Ide i connected through USB .. I am trying to get mac to read this drive please help

Pics below

Attached Files:

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Do you hear the drive spinning at all? Open up disk utility if it is spinning, especially if you can hear any disk activity, and see if you see the drive in the left-hand column. You may need to format so your Mac can read and write to it.

3. abhinavn thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't hear the disk spin .. I have 3 hard drives none of them do

EDIT: Do I need to make it a slave drive ?

4. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Drive

One problem you MAY have with that is the fact that it's an IBM drive - they lock if they're configured to do so when in a computer. If you know your drive is good and available for use, you should be able to just plug it all in (just the IDE ribbon cable inside) and the USB outside and if it spins up, it should be recognized.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Does the drive enclosure have a power supply or is it only the USB connector? Is the USB cable by chance a Y-shaped cord with one USB plug on one side and two on the other?

6. abhinavn thread starter macrumors newbie

The power supply is in the enclosure not through usb..

7. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

That case has a power adapter and a cooling fan - the hard drive doesn't require external power but the case may due to the fan.

8. abhinavn thread starter macrumors newbie

Right so what do you recommend ? Thank you for replying

9. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Honestly, it's tough to tell remotely. It's a used case and a used drive so we don't really know for certain that either is truly operational. Just by looking at the enclosure it appears as though it should have an independent power supply. The drive is pretty basic - just one ribbon cable. No jumpers or anything required. I have a few of these myself that I threw into a small enclosure but none have fans or require power - simply USB and they're bus powered.