Hardware Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Tydog07, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I posted the following post in the introduce yourself thread, decide to make a thread:

Hey guys, I'm Tyler and I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple questions about hardware related issues. I'm just starting to get into hi-fi stereo and music and looking at the older components that my dad has. I mainly play music off my computer, using FLAC files and I use a logitech z3i 2.1 system from 2003 that I still love to this day! For headphones, I use Klipsch s4i and love those as well (great bass response). I am currently looking into buying a pair of Grado SR80i to "upgrade" my listening experience and I'm looking at purchasing a Topping TP30, that is a $130 DAC and headphone amp along with passive speaker outputs. I think this unit will do what I want perfectly, I wanted a DAC to take the duty off of the onboard sound card, but also be an amp so that I can plug in my headphones AND have the power to plug in passive speakers. Besides those to components, I'm thinking about buying a pair of Dayton B652 ($30) to replace the duty of the z3i system. What do you guys think? Am I making the right calls here? I might not get the speakers because I could get some of my dads old ones, but I really want to know if I should bother purchasing the Grado's if the sound on the S4i's will improve with the amp/dac?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, the Grado cans will be a huge step up from the Klipsch no matter how you amp them. I'm not familiar with the rest of the gear in your setup so I can't comment on that side of things.

3. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a macbook pro at the moment!

4. LaazyEye macrumors regular

What era are you "dads old ones" from? I'd assume most anything would be better than a $30 pair new now-a-days...