hardware test detected an error

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jennytisme, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jennytisme, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

jennytisme macrumors newbie

I have a white intel imac that i got in 2007. I haven't run the hardware test in a long time and decided to see if anything was wrong. for the first time it got an error. it happened during the testing on the main logic board. it gave me this code - 4SNS/1/40000001 VDOR
    I thought my computer was running fine. so far I've only tried resetting the smc and the error showed up again.

from what i read i only know that is a sensor error. I don't know if this is just something i can ignore or is it a sign that worse things are yet to come.
    i want to get a new imac but not quite ready yet. i'd like to wait until the new ones come out.

2. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

Sounds like you ran the test using AHT. Are you able to run an ASD also to see if it's giving you the same error message? Can't trust AHT because other applications/processes are running in the background at that time.

3. Bacci macrumors newbie

To know what this error means exactly, you need to get the model name of your iMac (About this Mac). This will show you something like e.g. "24-inch, Early 2008".

Search for the service manual (not: user manual) based on this model identifier.
    ifix.me has a lot of Apple service manuals and is a good place to start.

The service manual should tell you which part is not working correctly based on the error code in AHT.

Good luck!

4. jennytisme, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

jennytisme thread starter macrumors newbie

yep I was using the AHT

the imac I have is 20" late 2006. i don't see it listed at that ifix.me site

5. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

Ok...have you tried looking in this thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1048770&highlight=

Hope that this will shed some light to resolving your issue.

IMO, running with ASD will determine if it is a logic board issue or a sensor issue to me. If your iMac is running fine, it could be just a sensor issue:eek: