Hardware Test Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pukey, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

I've run the Extended Hardware Test before on another MacBook Pro I had and tried running it on a new one that I just got. The new MBP seemed to freeze during the hardware test. What I mean is that the progress bar stopped moving near the middle and the time stopped keeping track. The first time I tried the time stopped at about 24 minutes and I let it run for several minutes (as I know the extended Hardware Test takes about an hour for 250 MB). Since it was still stuck on 24 minutes for a while and the computer was running really hot (IMO for a Penryn) I tried stopping the test (by pressing the Stop Test button and waiting, trying several times) and that didn't work which led me to believe the computer was freezing up and there must be an issue. I had to turn it off using the power button. The second time I tried the test the computer stopped keeping track of time at 4 minutes 34 seconds and after about 30 minutes of it being stuck there I had to turn it off again using the power button as neither the Stop Test button or Command+. would work.
    Has anyone else experienced issues with the Hardware Test? If there is another thread on exactly this topic, I apologize for starting a new one. I did a search and couldn't find one, so please point me in the right direction if there is a thread on this subject or otherwise if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

2. kingfish78 macrumors newbie

Same here...

I had the exact same issue. I never did complete an extended hardware test.

3. Pukey thread starter macrumors 6502

Pukey

Hmmm...this has me a bit worried. If it can't complete the hardware test it seems there must be an issue. I feel it would be better to get taken care of sooner than later.

4. Pukey thread starter macrumors 6502

Pukey

Thanks for your reply kingfish!

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

You guys aren't giving it nearly enough time. During the memory test part it takes forever. The extended test on the newest MBP with 2GB ram will take almost an hour. With 4GB ram almost two hours.

6. kingfish78 macrumors newbie

How much was enough?

My system ran for well over 2 hours (long enough to go to the grocery store to pick up a months worth of groceries, then come home and unload them and put them away). During that time... nothing changed.

I suspect that my problem was due to bad 3rd party RAM.

7. Pukey thread starter macrumors 6502

Pukey

Thanks bcaslis, I tried it again and decided to wait 2 hours this time (though I only have 2GB of RAM) just to be sure and this time it got through the test. Everything is fine with the internal hardware.

8. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I have a similar issue -- I upgraded my memory, from the stock 2GB to 4GB (2 crucial 2GB sticks compatible with my Feb08 MBP) and ran the extended hardware test.

The profile reported 4GB present in the system, but the extended hardware test got stuck about halfway through the first test (reporting a time of 6m18s) and I cannot stop the test -- either by pressing the button or using the keyboard combination (Command+.).

Is it safe to turn the machine off? I've booted the tests from the first install DVD.

EDIT: went back to the machine just now, and the report was that the test had been terminated after 30m -- I guess that the computer is not very responsive during the test. I can see how this would happen, but it would be nice if they could find a way to reassure the worried user that the test is progressing along nicely (or not, as the case may be).