Hardware to hang Mac Pro underneath a work desk?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Photomax, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Photomax macrumors regular

I constantly suffer from desk clutter on my work desk. I am thinking it would be nice to get my new Mac Pro off the desk itself...

I guess my options are:
    1) put the MP on the floor under the desk
    2) put the MP on some sort of rolling dolly under the desk
    3) hang the MP from beneath the desk with some fancy hardware

I like the sound of option 3 but where should I look for something like this? I want to be sure that any hanging system will not fail and send my new $3300 machine crashing to the floor...

Thanks!

2. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

3. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I'm sympathetic to this as i'm looking for a solution to the same problem as well, just haven't had the time to investigate it much.

while pretty I don't think the product you cite is worth the money for two reasons:

1. 100+ for two brackets is a crazy markup on something as small and simple as that. This company is really taking advantage of apple users' preference for design simplicity. I wouldn't indulge them.

2. A bit of a minor concern but the design does nothing to prevent racking of the mac pro from one side to another if it or the table it's hanging from is bumped. Also given that the mac pro's are about 50 lbs I hope the screws that come with it are sized correctly.

I should also point out it doesn't really matter if the bracket matches the mac pro or not - with this type of design you would never see it to know.

4. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

I think I am leaning towards making a custom rolling skate board platform that will give some height from the ground and protection from the evil vacuum cleaner...

5. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i would never put my pc on the ground again its a self built but design is simliar to that of the mac pros in 3 months cpu fan was so thick with dust fan stopped moving i know on mac pro that cpu fan is closed off but id rather put on the desk that way less dust :D

6. snorky macrumors newbie

I have a stand with rollers at work - actually use it as a footrest now. See your point though - makes sense - I need to check that out myself.

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

Attached Files:

8. thxdave macrumors member

I spoke with the gentleman at MacWorld from this company (www.kaecorp.com) and they had some hanging hardware as well as a very smooth moving slide-out hanger for the MacPro/G5 style cases. I believe that they are cheaper than the Sonnett. Here's a .pdf of the brochure I picked up at MacWorld:

http://www.kaecorp.com/datasheets/Apple_G5_desk.pdf

Unfortunately, you have to open the .pdf to view their products.

9. aibo macrumors 6502

Ikea sells a "Summera" computer hanger/holder for $20 in their Galant design-your-own desk system. I noticed it because in the Ikea catalog right in the department, they've got a G5 shown hanging.

10. snorky macrumors newbie

Looks like Mac Pros are 40+ pounds - i would think any time of hanging bracket would be a big stress on any desk - IMHO

11. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

Well, after starting this thread and reading some of the excellent points I am going in a new direction; something I have been avoiding: totally reorganizing and cleaning my office!

I quit photojournalism to go into commercial photography and web design. I have been tripping over mountains of boxes and gear for three years now. Removing my Mac Pro would have been nice but just masking the real problem: I need to spend my weekend sorting and organizing. My office looks like it belonged to one of those strange shut-in packrats who never throw anything away...

Hopefully this thread will be useful for someone...

Thanks!

12. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

Here is a link to a photo of my Early 2008 Mac Pro using a Summera with a Galant Ikea desk. Works great for me, and comes with a strap if you're concerned with the Pro falling off.