Hardware Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvkid, Nov 2, 2007.

1. dvkid macrumors regular

What's everyone's take on a hardware upgrade for the iPhone being "right around the corner"? As far as I can tell the next hardware upgrade will consist of 16 GB of Memory. However, beyond that I would think the next hardware change would be going to 3G, which Steve didn't seem to think wouldn't be happening any time in the next six months.

The reason for my asking is that my Treo was knocked off a table at a show last night and the screen splintered. I'm using a clamshell I had at the house but I so seriously dislike it I can't even form it into words. I don't have a whole lot of choice on whether to upgrade now or wait...just curious.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

IMO, I think that they will release a 16gb at macworld, and announce a 3g to be released summer/fall 2008

But who really knows? ...

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

A certain impatient so-and-so called Steve.

4. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Personally I seriously doubt that Apple will release any hardware changes until next June at the earliest. I could maybe see them doing the same as they do with the iPod and release a new model each year but Apple have made that difficult in that it has been released in different parts of the world at different times. In my opinion they would be stupid to repeat this for future models and should perhaps focus on a world wide launch.

Releasing a new model so early next year would cause an outrage. Think of how people reacted when the price drop occurred. If a new model came out in January people would still have only had their iPhones for 6 months and in Europe only 2 months. No one would be happy and I doubt that Apple would be able to continue their success in the mobile market.

I don't see anything new until maybe mid 2008/Macworld 2009. Apple have promised plenty of software updates from themselves and with 3rd party apps next year the iPhone isn't exactly going to have any problems keeping your attention.

5. dvkid thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, MacMonkee. I can't imagine they would want to go through the whole issuing refunds or credits thing again, regardless of the massive amount of PR they got for it.

Though I don't think doing incremental size bumps would be out of the question. Good thing that doesn't really concern me. By June I could probably justify giving this one to my dad and buying a 3G for myself.