hardware upgrades help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cyclechicviki, Feb 23, 2014.

1. cyclechicviki macrumors newbie

I have an early 2008 macbook 4,1
    2.4 Ghz Intel core2 duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM......I did update the OS to the maximum update which is snow leapard 10.6.8 I can not upgrade to Maverick..

I can not afford a new one at this time and want to extend the life of this by at least a year, it runs great, just running out of space. I only have about 125 MB of space left. From what I have read, I can add more memory up to 6 (supposedly) I would be happy with 4 and need a bigger hard drive.

I would like to do this myself, they want close to $500. to do the above at my local mac repair shop, might as well just spend another $500. and buy a new one.

Amazon has Crucial 2 GB sticks for $24. and would like some advice as far as what kind of hard drive to put in..also, I intend on doing this myself to save installation $$$, does not appear to be that hard, though with this model, I have not seen anyone do any hardware upgrades to this BLACK MacBook....It is an early 2008 which limits what can be done to it, is my understanding...

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED..

Thanks,

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Have you considered an external drive for more storage?

3. cyclechicviki thread starter macrumors newbie

upgrades

I would rather not drag around another attachment with my mac book. It has 2 usb ports and both are used already...one for the laptop fan and the other for my wireless speakers....I want the portability of in built
    Thanks for suggestion though

I am looking more for what type and size that I can order to install myself...I have figured out the memory part of it, just don't know the type and how big this one will actually hold...it appears to be way different than other 2008's...

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Start here for some upgrade tips, and then take a look here for possible upgrade options.

Is your current drive the 160 gig unit 5400 rpm unit? In most cases my preference is an SSD simply for performance reasons, but it depends on your situation. I swapped out the 5400 rpm 160 gig drive in my son's 2008 macbook pro with an OWC 240 gig SSD and it woke the machine up nicely. Not a night and day difference, but it's definitely faster.

Once you acquire the new drive, use a USB SATA adapter and clone your current drive to the new drive using something like Carbon Copy Cloner. Once done, swap in the new drive, do an SMC reset if it applies (again personal preference), and carry on. :)

5. cyclechicviki thread starter macrumors newbie

my Stuff

Not being a huge techie person, I copied and pasted my "stuff" that is factory installed on my macBook....I have not done any upgrades to it, and am looking for a bigger internal hard drive to install....I have less than 100MB of free space left....this is an "early" 2008 model, which is different than a "later" 2008....I can't even up grade to Maverick! I have upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Any help and advice would be great, still a great machine

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.31f1
    Serial Number (system): W88082KY0P2
    Hardware UUID: 0EBA6D4C-EB9D-5D08-9B39-F2F2DBB02068
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

6. cyclechicviki thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks dweez for the 2 embedded links, they are very helpful....I can order both memory and drive from them...they also have a video to show how to change them both out!! how amazingly easy!!! I can't believe the tech guys were going to charge me 2 arms and 2 legs to do it!!!!:eek: