Hardware

Discussion in 'macOS' started by accessoriesguy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I am not entirely sure where to post this, but why does apple soldier the processor to the motherboard?

I don't mind this, but is it for performance? I mean it would make fixing them a lot easier.

Is it for warranty reasons? from people who love swapping processors or to make more money off of their variant models?

Does anyone really know, or is it just left to guesses? I wonder this because over clockers hate it, and i know apple has requirements, but if someone wants to play with it, they should just void the warranty or something.

2. simsaladimbamba

If the CPU and GPU would not be soldered to the logic board, but socketed, it would add more millimetres to the thickness of the innards. And Apple does like it thin. And other manufacturers of notebooks and small and thin computing devices do the same, especially with machines not meant for tinkering, and the tinkering crowd is not the main target for such manufacturers. They want consumers, who don't know **** what a computer is. That is the way it is and will always be with the current technology.

That's it. Good Night and Good Luck.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

And if people could replace the GPU, there would be issues with drivers. Someone would have to write them, and if it's 3rd party software it would be a source of instability.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

It takes up less space, and apple doesn't want you messing with their hardware