Hardwiring Apple TV 2 question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by simply amazing, Nov 2, 2011.

1. simply amazing macrumors member

currently, i'm streaming my apple tv 2 over a wifi signal sent from my macbook (internet sharing). instead of using my macbook as the wifi source, i'm about to purchase a 3rd gen airport extreme and use that instead. with that being said, if i do get the airport extreme, i'll probably hardwire the atv2 since i have an extra few ports available. i was going to also connect a couple USB external drives to the AE in addition to that.

i know there are ways to wirelessly access the hd connected to the AE, but is it the same process to connect to the hard drive when hardwired? and is there a way for my atv2 to connect to the hard drive alone without the macbook as an intermediary? my atv2 is jailbroken btw.. thank you all in advance!

2. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

Ok, I'm a PC guy, so you lost me on a lot of that. Still, I can answer one question.

You have to have iTunes running somewhere to connect to the ATV. It won't work trying to directly connect to the AE or a NAS or anything else, unfortunately.

Sorry that I can't help more, but that's as much as I know.

3. 808? macrumors 6502a

I have my ATV2 wired to my AE and accessing a harddrive connected to the AE directly.

I use XBMC to access the media files on the harddisk and any other networked drive I wish. (this requires a jailbreak)

4. simply amazing thread starter macrumors member

ohh okay. don't be sorry, thank you so much for your reply. i just got the atv2 and it's one hell of a machine. i guess there's only so many ways you can work around it huh

----------

oh really? yea, my atv2 is jailbroken. would it still be the same process to access the harddrive when the atv is hardwired, as opposed to accessing it wirelessly? in other words, a hardwired atv can still see the networked harddrive as a workgroup without any additional steps? other than turning on file sharing on the AE of course

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wired or wireless makes no difference.

6. 808? macrumors 6502a

Exactly - but I find a wired connection being more stable for ease of use.

7. simply amazing thread starter macrumors member

oh okay thank you very much! yea, i have a videos that i cant watch without it buffering every second over wifi.. which is why i really want to hardwire the atv2.

8. madman390 macrumors newbie

Check out this other site for info on running xbmc on iOS devices: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137

9. simply amazing thread starter macrumors member