Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweetDove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm loving these kerf cases - but I don't like that they leave the front exposed. I also like the Grove cases but the solid case is a bit pricey for me.

Does anyone know of any other case crafters who use real hardwood? (not bamboo or paper or hemp composite)

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Hey everyone, I'm loving these kerf cases - but I don't like that they leave the front exposed. I also like the Grove cases but the solid case is a bit pricey for me.

Does anyone know of any other case crafters who use real hardwood? (not bamboo or paper or hemp composite)

Miniot. Otherwise you're looking at an made in china Otterbox sized brick of inconsistent wood. Either way, you're going to have a case that's going to swell and be loose, and tighten and crack. Miniot will at least look nice until that happens.

Wood variability is pretty much the reason Twig is here :)

Kerfcase

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Hey guys Ben Saks here, founder of Kerf

I'm happy you like the look of our cases. I have been making them by hand for about a year. Our cases are designed so that the edge of the case sits proud of the screen to protect the screen. They are machined from one piece of hardwood and lined with cork to provide cushioning. As far as I know we are the only company who makes cases with such a variety of wood and uses salvaged and reclaimed wood vs imported or commercially harvest trees.

I've been a woodworker and apple user since 1998 and this is my passion. I'm happy to put something so well crafted into the hands of many people.

IMHO the iPhone 6 is a misguided design. It feels cheap in my hand and does not have the quality machining that the 5 and 4 did. I predict that we will see many issues with the glass delaminating because of the new design.

We are going to be launching two new cases, a flip cover case and an optional front plate both in wood and an exciting new material.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the cases!

Ben

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Hey guys Ben Saks here, founder of Kerf

I'm happy you like the look of our cases. I have been making them by hand for about a year. Our cases are designed so that the edge of the case sits proud of the screen to protect the screen. They are machined from one piece of hardwood and lined with cork to provide cushioning. As far as I know we are the only company who makes cases with such a variety of wood and uses salvaged and reclaimed wood vs imported or commercially harvest trees.

I've been a woodworker and apple user since 1998 and this is my passion. I'm happy to put something so well crafted into the hands of many people.

IMHO the iPhone 6 is a misguided design. It feels cheap in my hand and does not have the quality machining that the 5 and 4 did. I predict that we will see many issues with the glass delaminating because of the new design.

We are going to be launching two new cases, a flip cover case and an optional front plate both in wood and an exciting new material.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the cases!

Ben

Awesome business person. I hope your business thrives. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.