Harley Owners

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Wasabisjors, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Wasabisjors macrumors member

Wasabisjors

Any Harley Owners here? Looking into buying a Harley Sportster, model 2012.....

2. Macman45, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If Only

It was on my list of restoration projects, before the Doctors said I couldn't drive anymore. A little off topic, but the attached is the last rebuild I did.

The bike came to me in 3 cardboard boxes with most of the electric missing. I think it turned out well...What do you think?

Attached Files:

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Sportsters are fun and versatile bikes. Which model are you looking at ? The new "fat" 1200C is certainly interesting and the HD1 customization you can do straight at the factory gives you tons of tweeking options on the cheap (compared to dealer installed parts).

I own a 2010 Street Bob myself, I wanted a bigger bike for long distances, but still something nimble and fun for around the town and my commute. The dyna was best of both worlds in that regard :

[​IMG]

4. Wasabisjors thread starter macrumors member

Wasabisjors

I was looking at the Sportster 48! I'll be using it mainly for cruising around town, and going to the beach.
    I only read that the fairly small gas tank on the 48 sometimes causes an annoyance....

What'd you recommend, buy a fairly new occasion Sportster, or go for a new one. Prices, it seems, don't drop that much on young occasions....

5. Wasabisjors thread starter macrumors member

Wasabisjors

@Macman45 Looks good, wish I was that handy!! :)

6. Wasabisjors thread starter macrumors member

Wasabisjors

Those Streetbobs indeed look good. Unfortunately a bit out of budget for me atm.

I feel those Harley's are way more expensive here in The Netherlands anyway.... :(

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The peanut tank on the 48 is definitely a downer if you're planning on any kind of long distance. Even the huge dual-tank on the Dyna, I need to gas up every 3 days when just commuting to and from work.

The Iron 883 or Nightster might be a good compromise there, they have a somewhat larger tank (though not by much).

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You might surprise yourself

It's pretty straightforward if you have the time. Golden rules are get the bible for the bike. The hardest part is sourcing the little things, on the Honda, it was the little badges, and stuff like that.

I rebuilt the engine, skimmed the head, and ( because of the new unleaded fuel) had the valves and valve seats hardened.

The rest was reall y just blood, sweat and tears! I rode it down to Cornwall for the last UK eclipse in convoy with a bike club I was a member of at the time.

Cruised happily at 100 all the way Down from Cardiff.

I would really recommend anybody to have a go, if you do get stuck, there is plenty of help available.

I was always a bike guy, never really got into cars....wife had a car, I had a bike. They are much easier to work on because it's all there in front of you.

Biggest problem was finding 2 coils....Had to travel 200 miles to get them.

Paid £30.00 spent around £300 and sold as you see in the picture for £2000.00 still know the guy who has it now!