Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What exactly is the harmful blue light that’s created by displays or phone screens?

Attachments

• 0885A3FF-2106-4FF3-BF05-ACB0B5A04964.jpeg
    0885A3FF-2106-4FF3-BF05-ACB0B5A04964.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 107

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have reading glasses with only uv coating and when I’m in front of the computer screen, people opposite me, can see blue glares of my screen on my glasses… might that be it?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I have reading glasses with only uv coating and when I’m in front of the computer screen, people opposite me, can see blue glares of my screen on my glasses… might that be it?
Yes, that might be it. :rolleyes:

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
No.

Blue light refers to the daylight-esque color temperature (~6000 K) of most modern displays. There is scant scientific evidence to support any claim that blue light is harmful to the human eyes or any other part of the body.

There is scientific evidence to support a claim that some people are sensitive to blue light. That's to say, the cool white light, especially during nighttime, might trick your brain into holding off on producing melatonin, the hormone that makes your body ready to sleep at night. It's difficult to stretch that into blue light being "harmful," though, because it doesn't cause any disease or disability, and the fix (if it causes problems for you) is straightforward: avoid/lessen screen use at night, especially the closer you get to bedtime. If you must, use software features like Night Shift (on Apple devices) or f.lux (on Macs and most non-Apple devices).

Unless there's a screen you must look at frequently at night and lacks any software option to mitigate blue light output, you don't need to pay extra money for anti-blue light coatings.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The “blue light is harmful to the eyes” is a myth. There’s no evidence to support the claim. Blueish light definitely can be more irritating to look at at times, but it doesn’t damage the eyes.

The sky is blue. The ocean is blue.

• Haha
Reactions: astorre

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Check this out

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
I have night shift enabled permanently because I find it easier on my eyes. If I switch it off I can really see the blue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.