Harmon Kardon Drive + Play

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by applekid, May 4, 2008.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

I got this from Stootsi last week for like 20-ish dollars. Brand new.

I put everything together and hooked it up to the tape deck before I decide to install it all internally. Unfortunately I ran into snags. I'm not sure if it's even iPhone compatible, but a quick Google search showed it working and even a YouTube video.

For me, it did work. First time swell. Second time... Not so well. I unplugged everything, reattached everything, restarted the iPhone, etc.

I keep getting the iPod disconnected message on the screen. On my iPhone, when I switch to iPod, it blinks between the Accessory connected screen and my playlist... Were these two not meant to be together? :(

I'm wondering if I broke the iPod cable from unplugging it... My 1G iPod nano (which isn't listed as compatible either) was not getting any results either. I'm going to test my sister's iPod 5.5G once I get my hands on it.

2. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Cable's probably hosed. I had to replace mine (free of charge courtesy of Crutchfield). It's a common problem apparently.

3. gadabout macrumors member

was this the drive + play 2, or the original?

i've been wanting to get one of these, but the new one is way too expensive

4. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you for the reply!

I suspected it was the cable because the iPhone was at least sort of working with the flashing accessory screen. I tried my sister's iPod this afternoon and no progress. As common as the cable problem might be, I haven't found a single thing about it online.

I e-mailed Harmon Kardon for hopefully a replacement cable. Any suggestions on where I could get a replacement cable if they can't give me one? I don't know of any Crutchfield's around my area.

gadabout, this is the original version. Obviously 2 is a very expensive piece of hardware, but certainly looks nice. :)

5. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Crutchfield came through for me because I bought the thing from them. Unfortunately, unless the merchant you got it from is as good, you'll have to deal with Harmon Kardon, who I hear isn't terribly responsive.

6. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

I would have liked to have got it replaced through Stootsi, but they don't do returns on new items. They want you to get products replaced through the manufacturer.

I sent an e-mail to Harmon Kardon through their Drive and Play site to no avail. I just sent another one through their main site's Contact Us page. Hopefully they can sell me the cable for a reasonable price.

Thanks again for replying!