Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Did both a google search and searched these forums and found no DEFINITIVE answer. What I found was a bunch of posts of people wanting to try this, others saying it either may or may not work, and then never concluding with actual testing.

My question is this: would a Harpertown Xeon with a FSB of 1333 mhz work in a 2,1 flashed Mac Pro? Or is the X5365 ceiling the ABSOLUTE limit? Has anyone actually tried and failed, and if so, could you post a link to the results?

The reason I am asking is I have access to a 1,1 which I plan on flashing to the 2,1 firmware... and as the Harpertowns in question with the 1333 mhz FSB are SUPER cheap (around $5 each), an experiment (even with the possibility of failure), is fine with me.

EDIT: I did find a youtube video where one guy did try to install a X5470 (quad 3.33ghz) in a 1,1 without success. However, this was the E0 stepping (SLBBF), which is known to not work in even the 3,1. Perhaps the C0 stepping (SLA-variant) will fare better?

Last edited:

06tb06

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2017
If you're only paying $5 for the chip itself then it's something you can try without worrying about breaking the bank. And if it doesn't work out, then just think of it as paying the same for a bad tasting Starbucks coffee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.