Harrowing tale: Burned by a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miniConvert, Jul 18, 2007.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/18/macbook_apple_support_hell/

The article concludes:
    I have had an excellent Apple experience, but this article echo's many of the posts on MacRumors and the MacBook experiences of some people I've known. It's a perfect example of what happens when Apple CS gets it wrong, and I sincerely hope that Apple wakes up and takes note.

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Poor woman, I'm glad she got something sorted in the end. Apple's Customer Service in my experience varies from excellent (less than 24 hours to ship me a new battery to the door) to absymal (macbook has spent almost 2 months in total in being repaired for simple things) .

At least she now has a working machine. :)

3. TelexStar macrumors newbie

That's quite a scary story. I regularly leave my MBP charging over night and had no idea this was a common problem. Exactly how common is it?

4. anothermacaddic macrumors member

Better buff up your homes fire insurance unless you want compensation of a $50 dollar rebate when you spend $250 when your macbook burns your house down while you are at work.

5. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It is quite scary, I agree.

I think it's only MacBook chargers that are known to burn, or at least the majority, and they tend to be older MacBooks.

I believe that anyone would be reasonably safe providing they remove the adapter by 'snapping it downwards' while holding the hard plastic end of the magsafe. I know a lot of people pull the cord horizontally to remove their adapters, and I can imagine this causing damage if it is done all the time.

I do believe, though, that the situation is unacceptable. Apple should clarify what chargers are affected and implement a recall. How many more will burn before something far more serious results, like a house fire?