Harrowing tale: Burned by a MacBook


macrumors 68040
Original poster

The article concludes:
So, I'll say this. Until there is a product recall, do not charge up your MacBooks unattended and never near flammable materials
I have had an excellent Apple experience, but this article echo's many of the posts on MacRumors and the MacBook experiences of some people I've known. It's a perfect example of what happens when Apple CS gets it wrong, and I sincerely hope that Apple wakes up and takes note.


macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Poor woman, I'm glad she got something sorted in the end. Apple's Customer Service in my experience varies from excellent (less than 24 hours to ship me a new battery to the door) to absymal (macbook has spent almost 2 months in total in being repaired for simple things) .

At least she now has a working machine. :)


macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
That's quite a scary story. I regularly leave my MBP charging over night and had no idea this was a common problem. Exactly how common is it?


macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Better buff up your homes fire insurance unless you want compensation of a $50 dollar rebate when you spend $250 when your macbook burns your house down while you are at work.


macrumors 68040
Original poster
It is quite scary, I agree.

I think it's only MacBook chargers that are known to burn, or at least the majority, and they tend to be older MacBooks.

I believe that anyone would be reasonably safe providing they remove the adapter by 'snapping it downwards' while holding the hard plastic end of the magsafe. I know a lot of people pull the cord horizontally to remove their adapters, and I can imagine this causing damage if it is done all the time.

I do believe, though, that the situation is unacceptable. Apple should clarify what chargers are affected and implement a recall. How many more will burn before something far more serious results, like a house fire?