Harry Shearer quits The Simpsons.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, May 13, 2015.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/14/8604495/harry-shearer-leaves-the-simpsons-no-mr-burns-flanders?

Might be time to put this show out to pasture.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hopefully, this will be the end of "The Simpsons." They've been coasting for years.

3. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Shearer is a smart, talented guy, but he's also a bit of an *******. I mean, he's been in the industry a long time and if you're smart and opinionated you're going to wind up rubbing people the wrong way, but it sounds like he's had an issue and falling out with everyone from Groening to Michael McKean.

Good interview here:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_578_-_harry_shearer

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The first several seasons were really quite exceptional (hilarious, witty, irreverent), but honestly it should have ended about twenty seasons ago.

5. olup macrumors 6502

Haven't watched the Simpsons in years, but the early seasons were really good

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Not what it used to be. Sometimes the show shouldn't go on - it should be euthanized as quietly as possible before it gets too long in the tooth.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The show's creators have wanted it to die for years. Now I guess even the actors are getting tired of it.

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

You might possibly be correct but no where can I find any information that suggest, implies or outwardly states anything that supports your comment. Do you have some additional info that you could share that would tally the facts in favour of your conclusion?

9. D.T., May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Listen to the linked podcast (in it's entirety), track down a few Stern interviews, and I _believe_ you might come to the same conclusion. As I indicated, I "get" being the smartest guy in the room and having your creativity stifled, and how the entertainment industry is controlled by a bunch of self-indulgent jerks who get their jollies from destroying careers (his anecdotes about Lorne Michaels are particularly jaw dropping).

That said, I also have some perspective on talented individuals who are impossible to work with (I've been "around-the-block" a few times...), who are quick to point out their intellect/education, combined with him seemingly having issues had issues with quite a few people, including (as I mentioned), his long time friend and writing partner McKean. He's an only child, so am I, trust me, I understand the basic underlying psychology at work. Harry is probably a pain-in-the-rear to some, uncompromising genius to others - I like to think he can be a little of both :)

Again, to clarify: I don't like him any less, I think he's extraordinarily talented (especially if you look at the whole of his career, even pre-SNL), I just think he comes off as bit of as ass (at least in interviews).

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I still enjoy some of the recent episodes but the show has had an amazing run. Maybe it's time for them to end it.

11. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Thanks much for the quick response and appreciate your explanation.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I often watch Simpsons episodes when I get back from work on Sky 1. They alternate between old episodes and new episodes. I can genuinely say that I still find the old episodes funny and I do audibly laugh out loud. The new ones barely give me a chuckle.

The whole 'old episodes were funnier' is definitely not some stubborn mythos. Hopefully with him leaving they can kill the show once and for all.

13. carlgo macrumors 68000

Funny, I watched a new episode the other night and it was hilarious. Pretty subtle and you have to pay attention. Lots of people cannot. Also funny, I found some of the "voices" hard to understand so maybe a little clarity from the next person will be an improvement.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You found Groundskeeper Willie hard to understand? :D