"Harsh" looking screen in Win7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by christeeezy, Nov 21, 2011.

1. christeeezy macrumors member

Do any of you guys have this issue also? It's difficult for me to use Win7 for extended periods of time on my Mac because the screen seems really harsh compared to when I'm using OSX. This isn't a brightness issue because it's harsh regardless of how dim I set the display.

Thoughts?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Try Setting Your Screen

Resolution In Windows to a higher level, I don't bootcamp myself, but it sounds as though you are running too low in Win7

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Did you do the color calibration? You can fix it up any way you wish.

Obviously win 7 does not know about the settings in place on your "other" operating system when running in bootcamp.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Out of the box in OS X Apple includes a calibrated-ish color profile which makes their screens look better. But when your running Windows your just viewing the (uncalibrated) native panel colors.

I'm guessing everything looks really blue and harsh?

6. christeeezy thread starter macrumors member

My screen is 1680x1050 which is what Win7 is set to.

Did this already, it made fonts easier to read but obviously doesn't fix the whole issue.

I did change a few color settings around which did help but the few settings it offered seemed like it'll fix the harshness only so far.

I guess I can say the screen is bluer compared to OSX, but that doesn't completely describe the harshness. I guess everything seems... over-exposed?

-----------

Is there a program that'll allow me to take my custom OSX color profile settings, and use it in Win7 as well?

7. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Not running under win 7 right now but try right click on the desktop => personalize => display => ( left side menu somewhere ) calibrate color.

Probably a ton of win 7 blog postings if you search google on using the win 7 calibration stuff ... fully customizable just like the mac os x stuff is just done differently.

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

If you've got a nVidia graphics chip in your Mac, the Digital Vibrance might be turned on by default by the nVidia drivers in Windows.

You can turn it off in the nVidia Control Panel.

9. Quad5Ny, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You can just copy the Mac color profile to Windows.

Color Profiles in Windows 7 by integrat.ethis

Note: When he says to pick a profile, the one you want is the default one (It should be called something like Color LCD-xxxxxxxxxx.icc). Also if your on SL or Lion, ignore his comments about Gamma.