Harvard Business School - The Evolution of Apple

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Black Belt, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5729.html

Great article and you can order the Business Case Study from Harvard for a nominal fee. Reading the description it looks like "Apple Computer 2006" will need another update - no mention of the latest iPhone venture.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well yeah, they're going to be slightly behind because these are usually major resource articles. I know I buy them often for school. I may buy this one or wait for someone to copy it and try to turn it into a professor!

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It was an interesting read, but I note that a common fallacy was committed in the article. It mentions that 6 million iMacs were sold compared to 300 million PCs. It then tries to say that this is a 2% marketshare. I know iMacs that are still being used in high schools to this day. 2% of net sales does not equal 2% of computer market share.

Ok, my rant is over.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

5. Black Belt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Marketshare is sales, not computers in use, it is not a fallacy.

Well if you are going to play that game, you can't give such a one-sided silly argument. There are WAY more PC's still in use compared to Macs. 386s & 486s are still being used because they are still useful in many functions in business, home and university. 68020 & 30 Macs do a whole lot of nothing because Apple has repeatedly jumped platforms and chipsets (because they don't have a long-view architecture plan) rendering prior machines pointless. That is why I "Switched" to PCs, I got tired of buying high-priced machines only to have them obsolesced by Apple.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Right you are. :eek:

Just how many 386s do you see being used? Go to a school, and you are sure to see the first gen iMacs still in use. Most PCs are replaced at a much more rapid pace than Macs. G3 Macs are still able to use Tiger, which means that Tiger still supports hardware from up to seven years ago. Far more than 2% of the US's computers were Macs at the time of that article.