Harvesting 2GB RAM from iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetBen, Oct 7, 2015.

1. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Hi all,

I just had a technical thought. I wonder if its possible to harvest the 2GB RAM nodule from the iPhone 6s and use this in an older iPhone to speed them up?

Just thinking of situations where someone has a wasted iPhone 6s and you were going to use the phone for spare parts. Wonder if the RAM is easily removed and can be attached to an older phone? I'm assuming they wouldn't have changed the physical dimensions of the RAM nodule.

I'm thinking of the days when I used to do this with my old PC, I appreciate that it would complex nowadays but surely its possible?

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

As shown in iFixit's teardown, the A9 SoC and the RAM is on the same chip or stacked together. Also, iPhone 6s uses LPDDR4 RAM while iPhone 6 uses LPDDR3 RAM. So I don't think you will be able to take the RAM in the 6s out and plug it to an older phone.

3. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

No its not possible. Best option is to sell your old phone and buy a new one.... Is the same even with the new Mac Book Pro's all the RAM is now soldered in and can not be upgraded.