Has 3rd Party Keyboards been fixed?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Black Magic, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Has the 3rd party keyboard issues finally been resolved at this point? I know back when the features was introduced there were tons of issues like disappearing keyboards and all. Any progress or is this just a lost cause?

2. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

Lost cause.

Apple hates third party keyboards and was goaded into adding them because of all of us complaining.

3. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

That's very disappointing to hear that 2 years later we can't have a stable feature.

Thanks for answering!

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues since 9.3.. I wish they would allow third party keyboards on the lockscreen though

5. chitown3014 macrumors newbie

No issues here on my 6s. Running SwiftKey as my main keyboard. Deleted the stock from keyboards list. It works great for me. SwiftKey is used for everything except passwords. Ios automatically switches to stock then reverts once those fields are completed.

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

7. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Third party keyboards have been pretty stable in most cases. I'm loving and using Swype, Go Keyboard and Path Input. See an overview of all major third party keyboards here.

I also look forward seeing the Microsoft and Google keyboard that are both planning (or beta testing already) the iOS keyboards.

Still a shame though that you can't use a third party keyboard on lockscreen. The best option would be that Apple would add a swiping feature to swipe words like Swype and others like Go and Path Input have because third party keyboards can't also access Siri.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I actually uninstalled Swype quite a long time ago (iOS 8.3 IIRC) ...
    The keyboard itself worked flawlessly, but there were some glitches, especially with third party apps, where the stock keyboard was needed and I ended up reverting back to the stock one.

Maybe it's time to give it another chance...

9. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

I've been using Swiftkey and literally never had the bad experiences people write about. I could never go back to the default keyboard.

10. ashindnile macrumors 6502

I've not had any issues since 9.3
    Only my chosen keyboard pops up, and it does pop up.

11. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Looks like I'm gonna have to give it another try.

12. Sleaka J, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

Sleaka J macrumors regular

Sleaka J

I haven't had any issues for a number of months now.

I've used Swype since it was released, and there were a couple of issues at first, but nothing for a long time.

I've also started using Swiftkey recently, no issues there either.

13. krishmk macrumors regular

I use touchpal and it seems to get better now. Works for me and I do not see any issue.

14. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

They still get partially hidden at the bottom whenever the blue flashy bar is at the top, e.g. when Google Maps is in the background or when using the phone as a hotspot. All my iOS devices still do this. Also it sometimes takes multiple taps before the keyboard pops up,