Has 8.2 broken your accessories?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by gnortenjones, Mar 15, 2015.

1. gnortenjones macrumors regular

Has anyone else had issues with accessories since installing IOS 8.2?

I have a Sony Alarm/Clock Radio with a lightening connector for my iPhone 5s:

It's worked perfectly for the last year. Since upgrading to 8.2 I am getting a message saying "This accessory may not be supported". It still plays music from my iPhone, but it does not charge the iPhone reliably (if at all).

For example, last night I plugged my phone in at 52%, but this morning it was only at 86%, and not charging any more. When I unplug the phone, and plug it back in I get the "accessory not supported" message, and it does not charge.

It's weird that sometimes it'll charge, and sometimes it won't. I wonder if there might be something wrong with the connector, but it started doing this as soon as I installed 8.2.

Thanks.

2. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Apple blacklists lightning devices of companies which do not pay them licensing fees. Is your Sony product genuinely made by Sony Corporation or is it some basic Chinese brand with name Sony slapped onto it. Asking because it's strange Sony would make anything for rival platform when they have their entire Xperia line to support.

3. darkfiber, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Sony has been making numerous speaker docks, stereos, clock radios, car stereos etc... that support the iPod, iPad and iPhone for many years now (and they have the official Apple iPod/iPhone logos on them as well). While it does seem ironic that Sony would make products that support Apple, Sony would have been crazy NOT to offer Apple compatible products as they would be ignoring a HUGE market. The iPod (the dominant mp3 player) as of Sept 2012 has sold 350 million units, plus the iPhone which Apple said recently has sold 700 million units so far and the iPad has sold 200 million as of June 2014. You just don't ignore numbers like that.

Here is a Google image search of some of the MANY Apple compatible products Sony sells or has sold...

https://www.google.com/search?q=son...wCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=990#imgdii=_

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony has made more Apple compatible products than any other company.

4. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

No problem here. I'm using a 3rd party chargers, couple different brands, one for work and at home. It's one of those multiple USB ports charger. All my cables are genuine Apple cables though. I only get those message when I borrow someone else's cheap cable, even back all the way to ios 7.0.

5. gnortenjones thread starter macrumors regular

I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it's a genuine Sony items since I got it at Best Buy.

Last night I went as far as restoring my phone, and made sure the connector was clean (even vacuumed out the port on the phone to make sure there wasn't any stray lint in it). Still didn't work.

However, before bed I plugged my phone into a wall charger (Apple brand charger/cord), then immediately plugged into the Sony dock, and it started working again.

Weird.

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

it broke the ice maker in the fridge. now instead of ice i get scalding hot water.