Has a Time Machine backup overwritten all external files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sharpada, Jan 15, 2010.

1. sharpada macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just upgraded to snow leapord and ran a backup using Time Machine to my external hard drive.
    Now rather than my external hard drive being named 'My book', it's called 'Time machine backup' and everything that was saved on the external hard drive to begin with is gone! Instead all I've got is a folder 'backups/latest/ etc.... I'm missing alllll my music, would be an absolute nightmare to upload all that stuff again. Not to mention there's other stuff that was on there I wanted to keep.
    Has doing a backup deleted everything that was on it initially? It definately didn't warn me beforehand.

Any help much apprecaited.

Adam.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Sounds like you re-formatted the drive. Time Machine never over writes what's on there it makes it''s own folder, as you have found and writes it's data in that.

Likey along the way you did a repartition or added a new file system.

Also...I don't se the point of having data and a backup on the same drive. If the drive failes yu loos both copies. Time Machine needs it's own drive to be of much use

3. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I agree with Chris. I use an external drive for both Time Machine and data storage. No problems.