Has an iPhone 3GS user had this problem???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradleydavid53, Jul 5, 2009.

1. bradleydavid53 macrumors member

I have noticed that sometimes when i wake up my phone, that the screen is VERY dim. i always have my iphone 3gs brightness up to around 75% with auto brightness..

but- sometimes the lockscreen with be dim... even with full battery.. then i will think "thats weird" and turn it off (via the top sleep button) and turn it back on and it will be all the way bright.

Is this a new feature? or a fluke? IDK- has anyone experienced this??:apple:

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Yeah, that happened to me a few times on mine that i just got replaced. Its obviously a bug, hopefully someone at apple fixes it.

3. army91c macrumors 6502a

Mine does this at time but resolves itself when I recycle the wake/sleep button. My first 3gs did it and the replacement I received for dust under the screen after 6 days does it too.

4. kmt88 macrumors newbie

5. moka macrumors 6502a

its not a bug, nor something wrong, its how it works.

6. kmt88 macrumors newbie

?

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Orly? Can you explain, since you seem to know so much, why it doesn't behave like this all the time? Maybe you should check out some of the other threads discussing the oddities found in the 3GS' auto dimming.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Auto brightness doesn't operate continuously. When the 'phone is unlocked, a sensor samples the ambient lighting and adjusts the screen brightness accordingly. Therefore, if you switch on in dull or subdued lighting, the screen will always be that way. Conversely, if the 'phone starts up in bright light, the screen will remain bright.

A way to save a bit of battery power is to make the 'phone "think" it's working in darkened conditions, and therefore have reduced screen brightness, is to cover the lower part of the screen (where the lighting sensors are located) when starting up.

10. YoungLew macrumors regular

i thought the lighting sensors were at the top by the proximity sensor?

Also mine has done this twice, i just put it into standby again and then it was fine

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes! You're right - it's above the earpiece. :)

12. kmt88 macrumors newbie

It's definitely not normal, it's so dim that you can barely tell the screen is on.

13. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that sometimes when I wake my phone from sleep, the backlight doesn't turn on at all. I can barely see the screen is active. Once I enter in my password though, the backlight goes on normally. This has only happened a few times.

I'm assuming this is what you mean. The backlight is always a little more dim in really dark settings. Any brighter and it wastes battery and hurts your eyes.

14. Illinoisemakers macrumors member

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Happens at least once a day with my phone.

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

16. jamac427 macrumors newbie

This happens frequently with my 3GS but seems to go away after touching the screen or locking and unlocking....there were numerous threads on this early after the release

what I want to know is it still happening to those running 3.1?

17. Benjic macrumors regular

Wouldn't a more effective method of preserving battery life be just turning down the brightness instead of tricking the phone?

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes! You can do that as well!!

Note, I turned down your volume! ;) :)

19. alekona macrumors member

It happened to mine from the very first moment I got the phone. But when I went to AT&T to swap it out for a completely brand new one (since it was less than 30 days, less than 7 even) and they said no that I had to go to Apple. I wasn't very happy since it was brand new but I did and they swapped it out and it's been working great every since.

20. nonbeliever11 macrumors newbie

Never again

yea, i don't think i will ever buy another apple product again. I have 2 issues with the iphone 3gs on 2 phones. no wonder every year they have to come out with a new iphone. they can last for the term of the 2 year contract.:mad: