Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has any ORIGINAL component in your Mac Pro ever failed?

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I've always used two Mac Pros concurrently. One as a dedicated server and one as my working desktop. I've been very fortunate, not one single failure. In fact it makes me uneasy reporting this. It's as if now that I've shared my amazingly exceptional luck, something will fail.

I've had two 2008, 2009, and the two 2010's I'm currently using. I put so many hours on them it's the reason I've upgraded that frequently. If my work was not so mission critical, I'd keep them longer. I'd rather spend the money for frequent replacements and trouble free operation.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Mac Pro 2006 1,1 logic board failure after 16 months. Had AppleCare and after nearly 2 months of trying to fix the issue, Apple customer relations stepped in and gave me a brand new Mac Pro 2008. That machine functioned flawlessly until 2 original 1GB RAM modules failed a few months prior to AppleCare running out in Feb 2011. Not only did Apple replace the two modules, but for good measure they also replaced the riser card. No issues since then.

I use my MP for my business so for me, it's up time is mission critical even if I have a 2011 MBP that I can fall back on. Not having AppleCare is an issue but the MP is still blazing fast and has tons of life left in it. I go back and forth on replacing it especially since pricing has increased so much in the last few years. Nevertheless, depending on how business lines up for next year, a new MP could be in the cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.