iPad mini Has any recent Apple device got as much negative publicity as the iPad mini 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Oct 17, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

No one can believe Apple had the audacity to slap a $3.50 Touch ID sensor and sell the iPad mini 3 as an upgrade to last year's model. This decision by Apple is being panned across multiple message boards and comments sections of articles. I have never seen such an overwhelming negative reaction to an Apple product in recent times.

I think Apple slipped up big time here thinking that somehow people will not notice the previous gen internals in the mini 3 and that Touch ID enough is alone to warrant a new model name and the $100 premium. I hope they come to their senses and not try to insult the intelligence of consumers, most of whom are pretty informed and tech savvy these days.

2. Visa Declined macrumors newbie

Apple will sell a ton of these, and that's really all that matters to them.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

No they won't, most people will spend $100 less for iPad mini 2 with no Touch ID. That's literally the only difference.

4. Cobster macrumors member

Well... The touch ID was what I was waiting for.... So at least they will sell one to me...

5. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I don't get the issue. Yesterday Apple sold a iPad mini for $399, today they sell it for $299.

If you want one with Touch ID, and gold, spend $100 more.

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Seriously this. It's like storage upgrades. Do you think upping from 64 to 128 GB costs 100 bucks? Try 1/10th of that. But people pay it, because they see the value in the addition even if it was low cost to Apple.

So, if you don't care about touch ID, get the Mini 2 and it's super cheap! If touch ID is really worth it, then buy the new one. It's pretty simple.

7. Charliebird, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

It's sure a lot of bellyaching. No one is forcing people to buy the rMini 3. They can buy an rMini 2 for a $100 less or a iPad Air 2 for a $100 dollars more.

8. royinla14 macrumors 6502

Agreed. this is rediculous and they are going to lose a full market of people that otherwise would have paid a premium to buy a new iPad Mini and now either will not upgrade their current minis or just buy Mini 2 if they never had one before. Does not make sense, even financially, since that could be the only reason behind not giving ANY update to the mini.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

They couldve made the display 401ppx to match the 6+ and hiked up the price to $499. Who are we kidding there were clearly production issues.