Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Question for those affected by this response to the iPhone 11 - Do any of you suffer from migraine, and/or motion sickness when playing computer games?

Just wondering if there's some correlation.
No, I never had such problems
[automerge]1573484897[/automerge]
I am also curious if somebody who has these problems like me uses the phone with a glass protection

Reactions: Mao69

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
At the end of the story I returned my phone today and changed it for an 8 Plus cause the headache increased again and I couldn’t stand it anymore. I’ve been using my new phone for an hour without interruption and all the symptoms I had passed.
The sales assistants at the Apple Store said they never heard of anybody having these problems with a LED screen phone.
[automerge]1573505391[/automerge]
I’m quite sad though because I really liked that phone, but obviously I couldn’t use it.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Anyone try reading paperbacks with tiny little font 6 to 8 inches in front of face for hours on end. Curious if you get headaches or strained eyes when doing this. Perhaps read fine print on a legal document. Curious if this arising from eye strain from reading tiny font sizes.

My eyes get dry and irritated when I spend hours in front of any computer screen.

It’s quite the conundrum as to what is different from phones with same type LED screen. Obviously it’s only a very tiny percentage of users. Seems actually statistically way less than even a placebo effect.

Would love to see repeatable scientific experimental study. Rather then anecdotal reports.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonybarnaby

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Question for those affected by this response to the iPhone 11 - Do any of you suffer from migraine, and/or motion sickness when playing computer games?

Just wondering if there's some correlation.
I never had a headache from any screen in my life before I got my xs max. I returned it and didn't have another headache until I got my LCD 11. I still have no idea why it caused me an issue, but it's on its way back to apple now and i found a new 8+ for $430. The crappy thing is that when I initiated my return with Apple, that cause my 8+ trade in to also be cancelled. So now I have a new 8+ as well as my mint condition 8+ I traded in on my way. I'll be selling my red 8+ and actually come out ahead, but I'll have to do the legwork to put it on swappa. I'll miss the 11, but not having a headache is way better than any phone to me. I don't think any of us will ever know why the LCD 11 caused us so many issues.
[automerge]1573509935[/automerge]
Anyone try reading paperbacks with tiny little font 6 to 8 inches in front of face for hours on end. Curious if you get headaches or strained eyes when doing this. Perhaps read fine print on a legal document. Curious if this arising from eye strain from reading tiny font sizes.

My eyes get dry and irritated when I spend hours in front of any computer screen.

It’s quite the conundrum as to what is different from phones with same type LED screen. Obviously it’s only a very tiny percentage of users. Seems actually statistically way less than even a placebo effect.

Would love to see repeatable scientific experimental study. Rather then anecdotal reports.
It's not the text. I tried it out one morning by immediately going to YouTube tv and I still got a headache. I'm typing this on a 6.2" 720p LCD Android with zero strain whatsoever. I wish I knew what caused all my 11 issues. As far as I have seen, no one ever figured it out and no one ever "got used to it". People have accepted the pain to keep the phone, but the symptoms never leave once you get them.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019

Trust me it’s not the text. It’s a different thing. For me it was even a different pain comparing to when my eyes get tired because I’ve read too much or watch too much tv series or whatever. It was much worse and it happened even if I only looked at the screen without reading anything. I compared if I had the same response using another IPhone 11 today at the store and yes I had the same pain, so it wasn’t just my phone.
[automerge]1573511992[/automerge]

Trust me it’s not the text. It’s a different thing. For me it was even a different pain comparing to when my eyes get tired because I’ve read too much or watch too much tv series or whatever. It was much worse and it happened even if I only looked at the screen without reading anything. I compared if I had the same response using another IPhone 11 today at the store and yes I had the same pain, so it wasn’t just my phone is
I never had a headache from any screen in my life before I got my xs max. I returned it and didn't have another headache until I got my LCD 11. I still have no idea why it caused me an issue, but it's on its way back to apple now and i found a new 8+ for $430. The crappy thing is that when I initiated my return with Apple, that cause my 8+ trade in to also be cancelled. So now I have a new 8+ as well as my mint condition 8+ I traded in on my way. I'll be selling my red 8+ and actually come out ahead, but I'll have to do the legwork to put it on swappa. I'll miss the 11, but not having a headache is way better than any phone to me. I don't think any of us will ever know why the LCD 11 caused us so many issues.
[automerge]1573509935[/automerge]

It's not the text. I tried it out one morning by immediately going to YouTube tv and I still got a headache. I'm typing this on a 6.2" 720p LCD Android with zero strain whatsoever. I wish I knew what caused all my 11 issues. As far as I have seen, no one ever figured it out and no one ever "got used to it". People have accepted the pain to keep the phone, but the symptoms never leave once you get them.
I completely agree with you. I’ll miss it too but I prefer feeling good.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Everyone tried covering the notch with black tape to cover over the IR emitters? Or just cover the notch with thumb. It looks like about 5 or 6 people have the problem?

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Everyone tried covering the notch with black tape to cover over the IR emitters? Or just cover the notch with thumb. It looks like about 5 or 6 people have the problem?

I tried for a few days- no noticeable improvement in symptoms.

With sensors uncovered again for a week now, my symptoms are lessening- they are quite minor now. No more headaches, and my eyes don’t hurt anymore as they did- maybe an occasional minor ache. Only noticeable symptoms are dry eyes minutes after starting to use the phone.

jkingrph

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
No problems here. I just got an 11pro and love it. I'm 74 years old and have been developing cataracts over the last few years, and had another condition develop that resulted in thousands of "floaters" in each eye. No problems viewing my laptop, galaxy tablet s4 or the iPad pro. I do like the dark mode because it makes my floaters less noticeable.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
No problems here. I just got an 11pro and love it. I'm 74 years old and have been developing cataracts over the last few years, and had another condition develop that resulted in thousands of "floaters" in each eye. No problems viewing my laptop, galaxy tablet s4 or the iPad pro. I do like the dark mode because it makes my floaters less noticeable.
Thus, probably, it has nothing to do with eye problems

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I tried for a few days- no noticeable improvement in symptoms.

With sensors uncovered again for a week now, my symptoms are lessening- they are quite minor now. No more headaches, and my eyes don’t hurt anymore as they did- maybe an occasional minor ache. Only noticeable symptoms are dry eyes minutes after starting to use the phone.
So weird. So not linked to IR emissions in your case. Only thing I can think of is refresh rate of screen. Would be nice to see Apple list refresh rate of current and previous phones.

I was looking outside yesterday at night while it was snowing. Had LED back yard light on. Noticed if I focused eyes at distance the snow flakes falling close to my face appeared as dotted line images. While I didn’t see the light flashing it must have been cycling like a flash which illuminated the flakes as multiple discreet images as they fell. Strobe effect, like a timing light. Modern electronic lights not like continuous glowing incandescent bulbs.

Last edited:

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Anyone still trying to get over their headaches?

I’m not really having headaches, but some days involve minor eye pain in one eye with this phone and dry, crispy feeling eyes. Weird though that sometimes I go through a few days long periods of little to no symptoms- then they return at some level.
No issues, hough when using my 8Plus.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’m not really having headaches, but some days involve minor eye pain in one eye with this phone and dry, crispy feeling eyes. Weird though that sometimes I go through a few days long periods of little to no symptoms- then they return at some level.
No issues, hough when using my 8Plus.
If you decide to sell it and you're out of the return window, swappa is what I would recommend.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
FWIW nobody has any issues with any Android display, OLED or otherwise. These issues are only with iPhones and for some people with iPads and other Apple products.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Which model have you had an issue with?
Me personally haven't had any, but a good amount of people had issues with Galaxy phones, as well as some pixels and the OnePlus 7 pro. Probably most phones if you join a forum specifically catering to that model.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Me personally haven't had any, but a good amount of people had issues with Galaxy phones, as well as some pixels and the OnePlus 7 pro. Probably most phones if you join a forum specifically catering to that model.

Do you have any links I can refer to? I’ve only seen issues with iPhones mentioned on MR. ?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Do you have any links I can refer to? I’ve only seen issues with iPhones mentioned on MR. ?
Google (phone name here) headache and eye strain. You'll find a lot. A lot of people get eye issues from their pixel, OnePlus and Galaxy phones

gmasi08

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I bought my IPhone 11 last Friday and I’ve already been thinking about giving it back. Since the first minute of its use I’ve been having eyes strain, headache and sometimes even nausea. When I don’t use it the feeling goes away and when I start to use it again it comes back. I’m pretty sad about this because I really like the phone but I don’t think it worth it.
I already turn off the Face ID, reduced the intensity of the whites, reduced movements, but I’m still having problems. Obviously it’s not my first IPhone. I’ve had an IPhone 4, 6s, IPad 4, used various Macs and have never had anything.
It doesn’t even have the OLED screen so I can’t explain why is this happening.
Has anybody else been having similar problems?
Nope. You may have a heavy case of "Vertigo" see your doctor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.