Has anybody else started to have Gmail push issues this week?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fusion79, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a Verizon iPhone and I have been using exchange Gmail since day one with no issues. Since Tuesday, however, my emails have not been pushing consistently. Most of the time I have to open mail to refresh manually. It has also prompted me for my password a few times. This is very annoying. Is anybody else having this issue?

Thanks

Chris

2. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

this is the 3rd thread I saw with g-mail /iphone probs .I also believe all 3 said teh have Virizon but am not certain search the forum and you find some others having issues with freezing up phones with g-mail push

3. EddyP macrumors 6502

This started for me about a month ago. (3GS ATT)

I did some searching and it seems like something google is working on. I had to constantly enter my password after it saying it was the wrong password. This happened on my MBP too (in mail). I gave up and deleted my gmail accounts from both.

Sorry that doesn't help you solve the problem. But you're not alone on this one.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

Yes I have been having problems! It seems that there is a bottleneck sometimes as 4-5 emails will rush through from various times. It doesn't happen all day, or even every day, but I have been having issues.

5. mclide macrumors newbie

Weird.. I thought mine has improved over the week (Verizon).

Double-check your settings?

6. Pravius macrumors regular

This happens to me often. I just turn the phone off and back on and it seems to resolve itself. Not sure that is what is resolving it, but it seems like I have this issue when switching between wifi and 3G. Just powering down and back on works for me. I may be crazy too!

7. patp Guest

It's an intermittent issue that creeps up every now and then. It's been happening less and less for me lately but does pop up occasionally.

No fix that I am aware of other than wait it out. It usually gies away after some time. If it persists consistently over a few days, you can delete that Gmail account from your phone and reinstall that account.

Is the gmail iOS version still in beta? Thought I read that somewhere.

8. redtape macrumors member

My iPhone has actually always been faster then my Android on receiving mails :)
    The Android is always a good 5 - 10 seconds after the iPhone.

Sometimes the iPhone is faster then the desktop Gmail webpage.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yesterday I read several e-mails on my IMAP-enabled iPhone.

When I got back to my desktop they were all still un-read, and the computer had been on all day.

So, yeah, I've seen a few weird things recently.

10. Fusion79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everybody. I guess at least it is not just me. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what this exchange people are mentioning? for me i jsut went to settings, mail add account hit the gmail icon put in my sign in and password and havnt had any problems at all

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You don't get push e-mail that way.

If you want g-mail to show up exactly on time you need to start over and set it up using these instructions:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

That's why many people use Exchange instead of IMAP.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i see so the only reason i was getting mine was becasue i had fetch set to every 15 minutes? and this way your showing me is better for battery life?

14. EddyP macrumors 6502

15. iFiend macrumors 65816

It's probably worse on your battery. But I have 2 push Gmail accounts, a ton of other apps fetching data, and a bunch of jailbreak tweaks, and my battery is tip top :)

16. patp Guest

No. by enabling the Enterprise with the mail app, you can enable PUSH for your Gmail account.

Push email means, when the email hits your server, it is pushed immediately to your phone. Very popular in the BlackBerry world. It's for people who need to know asap when new emails are received.

google push email - it will not preserve battery, if anything it"ll use more battery as it uses energy to receive the mail all the time versus you pulling your mail down.

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for the answer, im just a regular joe who gets 2-3 emails a day i guess ill stick with fetch every 30 mins

18. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I thought the default was PopMail, and you just set it as an IMAP account? Pushing appears to work fine. When at work, where I have Gmail set to imap on my desktop, when an email comes in, my desktop, iPad and iPhone and sound off within a few seconds of eac other.

But I am also having problems on my iPhone, but not on my iPad. This has been going on since I think I did the untethered JB on both my iPhone and iPad. I have double checked my settings a couple of times o both devices side by side, and they appear to be exact.

The iPhone comes up with an outgoing send error message, and it has trouble sending. Eventually it will send, but I have to clear the message several times.

It used to help if I forced quit the mail app and relaunch, but the last couple of days, it has not helped. It probably would help to redraft, but in the past, the restart was temporary also.

This is getting really frustrating. This thread is pretty close to my issue, but not exact. Anybody else having a problem with the outgoing server?

Thanks!!

19. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sounds like you have your mail accounts set up incorrectly. POP, IMAP, and Exchange are all completely different, and the only one that supports Push is Exchange. IMAP, and POP both only support fetch.

20. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Hmmm. Thanks for the feedback.

One other thing I failed to mention is that the iPhone gmail only messes up when it is running on it's pseudo 3G. if it is on wifi it is ok.

I say pseudo 3G because the phone isn't active on it's own, it is using my iPads 3G chip.

Think this matters?