Has anybody ever had a sinus infection?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by frostyangel, Sep 11, 2008.

1. frostyangel macrumors newbie

My cheeks are like itchy and I have pressure under my eyes and on top of my teeth. My doctor gave me antibiotics 5 days ago for a sinus infection. How long before they kick in? It is acrumentin for 14 days. Does this even sound like a sinus infection, I really don't trust my doctor?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

talking from experience... if they give you the correct one, for you body that is (usually a five day course)...
    it should kick in on the second or third day. if they don't work, just return to the GP.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Have you been taking your antibiotics as directed? Also, even if you don't think they're working, don't stop taking a complete course of antibiotics unless directed to do so by your doctor.

If you don't believe the treatment is working, you should call your doctor; if you question your doctor's competency, you should get a second opinion (from another doctor, not a tech-related message board ;)).

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I have chronic sinus infections, along with hay fever 365 days/year. Not fun. I just got done with yet another round of antibiotics that didn't seem to do any good. I see an ENT, an allergist, and a GP (for this and other issues), and they can't seem to agree on a course of treatment, so I go round and round.

If you haven't really had sinus problems before, the ABx should knock it out. Good luck. :)

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Had a couple. Give me the worst headaches. Get an antibiotic for it and get peace.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I get sinusitis from time to time but OTC meds usually do the trick.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I get sinus attacks from time to time; at their worst, they can lead to vicious headaches. I have noticed over time that certain things can act as triggers for attacks; sustained stress is one, a coming prolonged spell of awful weather is another (my sinuses are close to being infallible weather vanes); exposure to cigarette smoke is another, some food additives also act as triggers, and the two worst sinus attacks I have had in my life occurred at parties where most of the guests were enjoying a spliff, so it seems that I am violently allergic to cannabis (how's that for seriously, terminally, uncool?)

Strangely enough, while I use OTC remedies, another thing which I find useful is to keep properly hydrated; for some reason, that seems to ease the strain on my sinuses. The fact that these days my diet is largely organic, and that pubs and restaurants are now smoke free have also both helped my sinuses hugely in recent years.
    Cheers

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I've had my share of them. They're awful... You have my empathy :)

Usually, I find that if I get a sinus infection, then I get ill or sick - if I can keep it out of my sinuses I'm generally okay.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A family member has some very long term sinusitis (caught a nasty cold in Feb, cold left but not the sinusitis). I've not had it myself but I can understand what you're going through, good luck with it :eek: