Has anybody found a drop proof case for ipad yet?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by tophusalah, May 22, 2010.

1. tophusalah macrumors newbie

I have heard of a few good cases but looking for one that will protect from accidental drops?

2. rami.g macrumors member

rami.g

Bulky but productive

OtterBox is coming out with a case like the phone for the iPhone.

Although it make the iPad look like a beast, it should protect it more than just a plain case.

Check it out @
    http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-cases/

--
    RAMi.G:apple:

3. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Novel idea

http://www.iballzforipad.com/

I'm sure this product has already been covered in the forums. I was beginning to think this was vaporware but just got an email from them earlier this week about shipping soon. Kind of silly looking. Protection assumes you'd be dropping on a flat surface.

4. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

You could always do a small Pelican Case and mod the foam insert to fit.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

OMG....this is got to be one of THE funniest ads I have ever seen. Make sure you have your sound turned on for this one. Worth a visit just for a laugh even if you don't want a new case.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've already dropped my iPad while inside this case several times. Unscathed. :D

7. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I haven't actually used them together yet (iPad and cases get brought over to me in a week) but I went with the Incipio 1337 case. Probably not drop-proof, but you have to balance bezel protection with usability, if a case extends too far beyond the bezel front it's an obstruction, but you want protection in case it's dropped screen-side down.

[​IMG]

8. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I don't think a truly drop-proof case is practical for the iPad. It would need tons of shock absorption to be something you can count on for, say, a drop from five feet onto asphalt. It could be inches thick in places. Increasing the dimensions of a gadget (particularly a glass screen) increases it vulnerability geometrically. What works for an iPhone probably won't work for an iPad.

Then again, I'm not a mechanical engineer, and I might be overly pessimistic. Lots of cases give at least some protection all around the iPad, including mine, the InCase Convertible Book Cover.

9. leeschill macrumors member

We will be carrying one from Scocshe as soon as its available:
    http://www.protectthepad.com/ - check out the 5 image in the slider on the homepage.

10. iPadztr macrumors 6502

I might try the defender when it comes out... :)

11. LauraKiora macrumors newbie

Videos of iPad drop tests

You can see vidoes of iPad's being dropped in cases here. Its quite helpful to see the cases in action before deciding which case is best. Bit brutal to watch though - made me flinch a few times :eek:

12. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I think these are super cool in a dork sorta way..LOL I just ordered a set for the wife's Christmas gift iPad. What I really like is the way you can fold one of them underneath and use it as a stand for typing. Plus they just reduced em 30% for the holidays...couldn't lose at 13 bucks shipped.

13. syndrome macrumors newbie

Just saw a video of a soft case protecting screen from a bowling ball dropped on it

Hi. I don't know if its for sale yet, but I just saw a video of a case made of a material that claims to absorb energy on impact. They drop a bowling ball directly on the screen from 3 or 4 feet up with the ipad lying on concrete. It looks like its just a soft floppy sleeve. The site mostly sells lightweight impact protection for sports using the same material, but they say they are releasing a line of ipad and laptop cases using this technology. The case looks really cool too. Check out the quick video demo @

http://g-form.com/

14. sandydlc macrumors regular

I met the iballz inventor at CES!!

I saw the iballz in action at CES!! The inventor stopped by our booth and demonstrated it by dropping his ipad on the ground with the iballz on it and it just bounced a bit with no damage whatsoever. It was painful to watch but really cool to see that the product protected the ipad quite well.

It seems like a fun and innovative new product. Worth a try for those who want something new for their ipad.

Sandy

15. jafu3457 macrumors newbie

G-Form makes a tough case

G-Form claims they make a case for the iPad 2 that can withstand a drop from a height of sixty feet. Hopefully you're not holding on to it at the time.