Has anybody got Fusion drive working in macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BB.King, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BB.King macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm getting a regular 15 inch Macbook Pro and want to do the optical bay hard drive replacement.

I seen the post where custom Fusion drive was working on the Mac Pro, but has anyone got it working on Macbook Pro?

I'm debating either getting a 240GB SSD for two separate drives setup, or 120GB for Fusion drive setup.

Many thanks

P.S. Not interested in the Retina as the 1680X1050 mode in Retina don't look as good as native resolution.

2. NoNameBrand, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Lucille should fly with a fusion drive.

Just (last night) built one in a 13" MacBook Pro (mid-2010). Put a 120GB SSD in the optical bay, stock 250GB HDD left where it was.

Assuming you've got no partitions on your disks, it's two commands in the terminal to build it.

Here are the gotchas:
    SuperDuper! clone to the new fusion drive from a backup resulted in no boot (verbose boot suggested /dev was missing: ho ho ho).

Attempt #2: Used a fresh Mountain Lion 10.8.2 installer to put working OS on it, then used Migration Assistant from a backup, while I was logged in with a dummy admin user account. Success!

Have not been using it, beyond turning it on. Boots quickly.

EDIT:
    Put the SSD in the HDD bay and the HDD in the optical bay. Had lots of beachballs and wake-from-sleep issues doing it the way I listed above. Went away when I swapped the drives.

3. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

4. mogens macrumors member

So you used the supersuper backup as source for the migration?

5. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Yes. Well, sort of: I wasn't thinking so used a TimeMachine backup of just the user data first, then remembered I could migrate from the clone and then used that for the applications and settings.

When you set up the new OS, the first account should be a dummy admin account not present on the backup.

6. mogens macrumors member

So you think this will work?
    1: create fusiondrive and install a fresh copy of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 from a USB stick
    2: boot from the fusion drive and migrate using migration assistent from my superduper cloned ext. FW drive.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

You have to have 10.8.2 installed BEFORE you create the Fusion Drive.

8. mogens macrumors member

Why?? When I format/erases the drives to a fusion drive from the USB stick, it makes no sense to install Mountain Lion on one of the (separate) disks first. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Wrong. All you need is a 10.8.2 Installer USB Stick.

10. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

No that´s a lie.
    You have to make the Fusion Drive BEFORE installing OS X

I have a MBP 13" early 2011 and i replaced the original hdd with a 180GB SSD and moved the original hdd to a optibay.
    Maked a bootable USB with OS X 10.8 and before i installed i used Terminal to make a Fusion Drive.

11. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Lie is a bit harsh no? Why would I lie about such a thing?

My understanding is that logical volume groups are only tasked with "Fusion" disk management in 10.8.2 and that you need 10.8.2 to use a Fusion Drive, though you can most probably use a 10.8.2 USB stick to implement before you install ML fully (as someone pointed out above).

I may be in error on this.

12. mogens macrumors member

No offence, but back to my original question. Can I make a migration from my superduper backup once MT is installed on the superdrive ( and work) :)

13. mogens macrumors member

Nice videos, anyone knows where to find the createfusion drive script used in the first video?

14. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

My native language is not english so i´m sorry if i use wrong words.

You said.

"You have to have 10.8.2 installed BEFORE you create the Fusion Drive."

So tell me how you without Terminal make a Fusion Drive?

Just read this

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-guides/78409-create-fusion-drive-your-customac.html

15. mogens macrumors member

You run the the terminal appl. From the usb stick. Just created a fusion drive and everything runs fine and fast :)..doing a migration from my superduper back up right now, but it's gonna take a while since the user account is 800 gb . I used a samsung 830 ( disk0) in the optical bay, and the internal 2G ( disk1) in my iMac late 2009 i7 and used this guide :

http://www.petralli.net/2012/10/ana...macs-with-an-ssd-and-a-traditional-hard-disk/

Worked like a charm :)

16. mogens, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

mogens macrumors member

Woke up this morning and everything is working as expected :):)
    Ran "iostat disk0 disk1 1" from terminal, there's a lot of disk activity going on moving files between the two drives. Guees it's some kind of optimizing of the Fusion drive.