Has anybody installed the ADATA S599 SDD in a MBP yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Siriosys, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 13inch MBP (unless something 'magical' happens with the Air this coming week) and am seriously thinking of getting the ADATA S599 200Gb SSD as they are available here in NZ. They're BLAZINGLY fast!!!

Has anybody attempted and succeeded installing either an S596 or S599 ADATA SSD into a MBP?

Would be interested in your experience.................

2. WMuntean macrumors regular

The S599 uses the new SF controller and should have fast random and sequential read/write speeds.

The S596 uses a new JMicron controllers, which have a 128mb cache. Supposedly this is the controller to do away with the stuttering problems the previous JMicron controllers had. I'm interested if anyone has any experience with the S596.

If I were you, I would look into the S599.

3. Siriosys thread starter macrumors regular

Siriosys

WMuntean,

Thanks for that. Yeah, i noted the thing about the older chipset and am certainly more inclined to head towards the S599 dispite it's rather unusual capacity of 200Gb. I'm taking quite a hit on space doing this as my current drive is 320Gb.

I found quite an interesting review on the S599 online and seems they couldn't heap enough praise on it if they tried..........seems it's the flavour of the month......for now at least......oh, and there's a rather nice internal shot of it too.......:D

http://www.guru3d.com/article/adata-s599-100gb-ssd-review/

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Something to keep in mind, even though it is based on the SF controller, not all firmware are created equally.

From what I've read, each SSD companys' SF firmware may be different from each other in terms of performance and issues, even though based on the same controller.

5. goci macrumors newbie

6. svnyster macrumors newbie

I just purchased an ADATA S599 256GB SSD, and it's running great it my i7 MBP.

For comparison, I ran Xbench and compared to other i7 MBPs using SSDs. It's about equal to Apple's SSD and the OWC Mercury Extreme, slightly faster than the OCZ Vertex 2 and Agility 2, and not quite as fast as the Crucial C300.

My Xbench Results

7. WMuntean macrumors regular

Yea thats pretty fast. Glad you're enjoying it!