Has anybody noticed....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gatorman, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Gatorman macrumors regular

How accurate the tracking ability on the maps program is lately? Instead of being a 5 mile radius, it's down to less than a city block! I was playing with it last night and was surprised to see how close it was. It narrowed my location down to my house and the two neighboring houses.

If it continues to get better, I know I won't care about a GPS system. I thought this was pretty sweet! :D

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It changes based on a bunch of factors. Yesterday, it didn't even get my actual location in the radius. I'm in an area with sporadic cell service because of mountains. Meanwhile, my car's GPS has me down within a few feet. The Google Maps Locate Me feature is very nice (especially for FREE), but it's simply not GPS.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Yet. I looked at the tea leaves at the end of a pot of tea today and they point to GPS linked Google Location Based Services, and a link in to Google Maps, and Google Maps Locate Me.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have noticed it is much more accurate with WiFi turned on.

5. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Not for me...I'm still about 2 miles outside of the circle drawn by the "locate me" function (about 4 miles from it's center). It's still close enough for most searches for me.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its weird, for me sometimes it has me very close on point and other times at the same exact spot a few days later it has me a mile off.