Has anybody tried an iPhone 4 on AT&T's GoPhone plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benguild, Oct 17, 2011.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

I'm paying like $67/month now for bare essentials (including unlimited data) and that's about as low as I can get it without dropping the 1000 texts plan for no plan at all.

I'm tempted by GoPhone, but I heard FaceTime and Visual Voicemail don't work unless you jailbreak. My phone is unlocked, but I also heard that AT&T gets angry if you use an iPhone on a prepaid plan and threatens to cut off service.

Still, GoPhone is only $50/month for unlimited everything. Would be nice. Any experiences to share?

2. Sledneck36 macrumors member

Or you could use your iPhone 4 with Walmart's straight talk. $45.00 a month unlimited talk, text and internet. (STAY UNDER 2GB). The only downside is there is only two straight talk phones that you can get the sim card out of that will work. They are both $200 and you will need a sim cutter.
    My girlfriend is using a 3GS on IOS 5 on straight talk with no issues. The phone is NOT unlocked. Since upgrading to IOS 5 even MMS works.
    Cheapest iPhone plan out there..

3. jsh macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I used it for vacations in the us. Be aware that to use data, you need to change your APN. There is a NZ site that does this nicely from your phone.

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm already on AT&T but I'm debating moving my number to GoPhone. Just wondering if it's worth moving from $67/month to $50/month. My contract is ~$420 extra every 2 years, but I get a phone out of it. Maybe it's not worth it?

I mean, if I buy an iPhone for $199 and sell it on eBay for $600, that's like the same amount haha.

5. rookiezzz macrumors regular

Hey, I'm thinking about this too! $50, unlimited with 3G, sounds better than t-mobile's edge..
    try to read this, page 12-14 I guess.. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1254114&page=13

They said it works but they might get angry and cut down your service :eek:

rumors also said that the data on go phone is not the data for the smartphones :confused: have no clue about that anyway ;)

6. Fezwick macrumors 6502

Yes I'm on GoPhone with my iPhone 4 and it works great. FaceTime works fine. Visual Voicemail will never work even if you jailbreak. AT&T isn't going to suddenly cut off your service. People have been doing this for a while and nothing has happened. I've, personally, been on GoPhone for four months with no issues.

If you plan on moving to the $50 a month plan, be aware that does NOT include data for a smartphone. If you want unlimited everything for cheap, either go to Straight Talk (buy a refurbished E71 on the straight talk website for $100) or H2O Wireless.

Here's a thread I posted in that has pretty good info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1212327&highlight=

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

He's exactly right - the goPhone plans WILL NOT transfer data for smart phones.... thought I was travelling last week and 3G started working on my pay as you go ATT plan for almost 2 days! *cough* then it stopped.

Nonetheless, they say it wont work on the smart phones.

Also, if you are interested in H2O (Im a fan) I did a quick write up over here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13696072#post13696072

----------

data does not work on iPhones unless you buy an extra data package... which will put you closer to $80 usd for unlimited everything w/ only 500mb of data.

8. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

I have had a 3GS that i use with a gophone sim for the last two year. I get both voice and data, but the price on data is out of control.