Has anybody tried NewsRack RSS app for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Weaselboy, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I noticed the dev of NewsRack for iOS has released an RSS app for the desktop in the app store here.

With the app store there is no way to DL a demo version. Has anybody purchased this app and tried it out?

From the screen cap in the app store it looks decent and has pretty good reviews so far.

[​IMG]

2. exiledsoul macrumors newbie

well I bought it a few hours ago (impulse purchase). Disappointed that there's no trial version as well. I normally use Netnewswire and I don't think Newrack is significantly better. Don't get me wrong, it's alright but improvements can be made. My major disappointment is inability to have subfolders, can't determine how long feeds stay archived. I do like the in-built browser and the interface though. I hope they'll improve on that.

3. Weaselboy thread starter Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I emailed the dev with a couple questions and he answered in about ten minutes, so this convinced me to go ahead and buy it. I am very pleased with the app and have switched to it full time from the neglected NetNewsWire.

I think the subfolders is a limitation of Google Reader. I seem to recall reading about this issue with NNW also.

NewsRack has a pref setting (cap below) where you can tell it how long to archive articles.

[​IMG]

At any rate... for $7.00 I like it.

4. exiledsoul macrumors newbie

Perhaps I should email the dev too. I am using the old Netnewswire as I wasn't impressed with the switch to Google Reader (I don't like it), Didn't want the ads and I like my subfolders a lot. I didn't feel the upgrade was worth it & I don't feel that I'm missing out on much.
    I didn't sync newsrack with Google Reader, so I canot see the archive settings. I'm a bit puzzled that because now I don't know how the archiving works if you don't sync. Do posts stay there forever, or go away as the feeds gets update?

5. jamied95 macrumors 6502

How about Reeder for Mac? It's free at the moment and it has a much more 'Lioney'/iOS feel to it.

6. Weaselboy thread starter Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I used it for a couple weeks. It is very similar in look and feel to NewsRack and very fast also. Two things made me stop using Reeder for Mac though. The odd beige background color of everything just drove me insane. It was very hard to read the headlines in the article list because of this off beige color combo. Also I use a RSS reader entirely by KB shortcuts and the Reeder shortcuts had some odd behavior I could not get used to. For example, if you end up at the last article in the lowest folder it would not jump back up to new articles in folders above like it should. I just find the KB shortcut behavior more predictable with NewsRack.

Although nothing has been announced, I suspect Reeder for Mac will go pay only once out of beta.

7. Weaselboy thread starter Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was a long time NNW user and paid for all the upgrades over the years. I was not happy about the way the dev handled the last upgrade. It looked to me like he spent all his time working on NNW for iOS and neglected NNW for Mac. The NNW Google Groups support discussions are full of people complaining about sync and other issues and he just promises a fix in the next version that will be out "soon", but it never comes.

The only thing keeping me with NNW was the lack of good alternatives, now that is not an issue as I see it.

Ahh... I see your issue. How about if you turn on sync even though you don't really need it. It sounds like it would be a good way to archive your articles?

8. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

9. Weaselboy thread starter Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes.

[​IMG]

10. JesperB Guest

I haven't tried it but I saw it in the Mac App Store. If you are using Google Reader, try Reeder app.

It's still in beta but it works pretty nice and it has a very simple layout.

Link for the beta: http://madeatgloria.com/brewery

11. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Have you even bothered to read this thread??

12. svkrzn macrumors regular

for those using newsrack: does it show the count in dock for unread items as for mail.app etc?

13. Weaselboy thread starter Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Yes

14. svkrzn macrumors regular

Thank you