Has anybody tried this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mytakeontech, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I know there are some posts on this topic but I did not really saw anybody doing this, at least no mention of this plan :D!

This is for ppl who don't really use any minutes and mostly data on their iPhones.

Okay this is what I wanted to check.

1. Buy an iPad 3G with unlimited data plan.[I think now there is no option for unlimited data plan for iPad]
    2. Cancel your iPhone contract (3GS or lower). Not very expensive if you had the old contract. OR buy iPhone 4 for full price without contract.
    3. Put your iPad 3G sim in your iPhone and use iPhone as iPod touch with iPad's 3G data plan from ATT.

I never really thought about it but realized recently that since I use my iPhone primarily for Data if I can do this this will be awesome!!!

I can even use skype or fring and make calls too!

Let me know if anyone has done this OR there are any flaws in my story!

Note: If you still want to maintain your Phone number, just switch to some dumbphone plan with no data (even pay as you go). Cheapest family plan will work too!! (Agree that then you will pay for Voice too).

Let me know if I am missing something. :cool:

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

the flaw is the assumption that AT&T is not very smart to foresee the usage of such loophole.

3. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

That assumption has flaw right now. We will see when ATT realizes that. If they do then we can actually start a data plan on iPhone.

I think this is a minor inconvenience at least for me.

Any more flaws?

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Hasn't there been some precedence where disabled users who are mute or deaf were able to get the iPhone as a data-only device (read: no voice plan)? I vaguely remember discussions back in 2007-2008 when the first generation iPhone came out and they planned to use the TTY feature-via-headphone jack.

5. c2006 macrumors member

uh, the data part is the expensive part, why don't you just keep your iPhone and jailbreak it to tether to your iPad?

none of this makes any sense to me...

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

+1.

7. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know why it does not make sense to you but let me explain:

Even though the data part is expensive (I don't know how if you have $30 unlimited), you have to buy that when you buy an iPhone.

It's not mandatory for iPad though!

When I buy iPhone I cannot say no to Voice Plan, there is no way (Also I am not deaf and dumb so that option is out).

Let's take this example:

1. iPad 3g + Contract free iPhone with iPad's SIM. No voice but can have skypeout number to use as a phone - - Monthly charges = $30 +Taxes

2. iPhone - Voice + Data = 40 + 30 + Taxes etc. = At least $75-$80!

I don't know what is so hard to understand here.

At home I can still use my iPad 3g on wifi and outside I can use my Phone on 3G. If necessary I can still use iPhone tethering to iPad (outside if needed).

I think this plan is great for ppl who don't care about voice part of iPhone!

Focus of this solution is to have mobile device only on data plan. I don't want to tether my iPhone to iPad. If I really buy an iPad then that will stay home most of time where I do have wifi!!!

8. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Man, it's called an iPhone. Most people use it as a phone for calling and such......
    Why would you ever need basically an iPod-Touch with a good camera to have 3g all the time?

9. brayhite macrumors 6502a

To save nearly $50 a month if the OP's loophole works like he explains it.

10. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you miss that you can still use your "iPhone" with Skypeout?

11. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for understanding my point of view! Not sure why ppl don't get it!

Anyone everyone has his/her own choice! Go ahead with what you like. I just wanted to throw an idea here...

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You're overlooking one simple fact and that is AT&T will know you're using an iPhone and not a iPad based on your IMEI number.
    That alone would (well should anyway) raise a red flag in their system.

13. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Skype is only free calling till 2011 i think.

14. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can still purchase skype. I heard it's very cheap to call within US, Canada and Europe!

15. mytakeontech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Non issue so far for ppl who tether with iPhone to iPad. I know it's a little different scenario than what I explained but still not legal as such...

16. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

There also is now noi ulim for 3g for ipad like you stated.. so...

17. Garrett67 macrumors regular

It's about $8 for 3 months, so $2.66 / month. This is for outgoing calls. You'd have to buy a number to receive calls but it's not that much really.