Has anyone activate the HiDPI mode (Retina) ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by djrod, Jul 21, 2011.

1. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

As seen on Ars review:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/14

2. djrod thread starter macrumors 65816

djrod

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, zero responses?

3. skadd macrumors regular

I'm sorry this is off topic, but is the "automatically adjust brightness" option new? I don't see it in Snow Leopard (iMac 27, mid 2010)
    How does it measure how much brightness to be set? iSight?

4. Gilj macrumors member

I've tried to activate it for few hours with no success...

5. alexandero macrumors regular

That option is only available on notebooks (possibly only MBPs?), as they have an ambient light sensor hidden beneath the speaker grill.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Been searching on how the heck I'm supposed to enable this, no luck.

7. fs454 macrumors 65816

2010 11" MBA ultimate here, no option for HiDPI in my display settings. Is there a way to enable it for systems where it doesn't show up? I need to be able to do this because I manage IT for a doctor's office, the doctor is much older and we keep him on Windows 7 as it offers high DPI mode where SL didn't, but now that it does it'd be sweet to bring him over to Lion.

8. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

You can enable it in the Quartz Debug application (if you have the developer tools installed). Not sure you would want to, though, unless you're testing one of your apps. It's neither ready nor really meant to be used on current displays.

9. Gilj macrumors member

Ohh NVM!
    I used the Quartz Debug that was in the "Developer-old", I activated it and its great (the supporting UI) but res too low (need a real retina for useable display ofc).

10. The13thDoctor macrumors regular

11. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

When you're in Quartz Debug, press ⌘-2 and check the box.

12. nezda macrumors newbie

Requires XCode 4's Quartz Debug

You need to install XCode 4 and use its Quartz Debug. You can get this for free at the App Store (big download though). I preferred running:

Code:
    defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.5
    opening tiny app "zoomed in", and then resetting it (for other apps) with:

Code:
    defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.0
    but this no longer works. Anyone know how to achieve a similar effect (i.e., increase size of 1 app)?

13. itsliz89 macrumors member

The box that says "Restore scale factor to default (1.0) on quit" ?

14. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

It's a little strange that certain features of the desktop (the apple in the top left corner and the 1/2 inch markers in textedit are low res while the rest scales up nicely. Still a pre-alpha feature I guess...

15. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

No. You're apparently using an older version of Quartz Debug. The new one's UI resolution settings window should just show a single check box captioned "Enable HiDPI display modes".

16. Lorphos macrumors newbie

I'm using HiDPI mode on a ViewSonic VP2290b (rebadged IBM T221) since a few months. It's pretty awesome, looking at a "normal" 100dpi monitor makes you realize how crappy those are :D

The VP2290b has 4 DVI ports, I'm only using 2 at the moment and get
    30Hz refresh with the help of SwitchRes X which is enough not to be annoying (41Hz is max for my model).

Here's a screenshot of the monitor settings (the DVI ports are running 1920x2400 each):

Attached Files:

17. blow45 macrumors 68000

I downloaded the new xcode 4.3, deleted my old developer folder, but for the life of me I can't find quartz debug in the xcode app bundle... And the old quarz debug prior to it being chucked away in the garbage did not have an hidpi option anyway... I need to download graphics tools I read somewhere but the link to apple asks for a dev. account which I 've not renewed for a year or so...

Great of apple to give xcode for free in the app store then take away the graphics tools....:mad:

So where's everyone locating the new quartz debug?

It's supposed to be there:
    but I can't find it...

edit: nope, this refers to the old quartz debug...

18. chjlu macrumors newbie

chjlu

The way to get Quartz Debug in new Xcode 4.3

You can get Graph Tools for Xcode (includes Quartz Debug) from Xcode > Open Developer Tool > More Developer Tools... menu or go to http://developer.apple.com/downloads directly.

19. blow45 macrumors 68000

thanks!

20. SuperRob macrumors regular

I used one of the HiDPI modes briefly, as I thought it would solve the problem of not being able to see screen elements clearly from the couch (my Mac mini is being used as a HTPC). Unfortunately, they were really too big at that res to be useful. So now I just switch to 1366x768 when I need to.

21. z0otsuiter macrumors newbie

iDisplay on iPad 3

I am not a developer. I just downloaded Xcode to try to enable the HiDPI mode on my iPad using iDisplay. Everything is super small so I thought, hey, time to use HiDPI mode. They guys at Airdisplay said they were toying around with this for their next release, so I was going to test this using iDisplay. I emailed the iDisplay guys and they asked if I had enabled HiDPI mode. So here I am trying to find QuartsDebug after downloading Xcode. I don't seem to have an /developer/applications/performance tools/ folder anywhere. What am I doing wrong. Is it because I am not a developer? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

22. blow45 macrumors 68000

See the posts above and get it from apple. :)

Activated hipdpi too, unusable mostly right now as word and other apps look like **** in terms of text, but it was a great relief to finally see larger fonts on the dock and finder, as well as clearer icons. Still I can't understand why the hell apple can't allow for some customizability of the font on the dock and a few more ui elements such as cmd click menus, and some larger sizes in the finder. when the hell are they going realise that they are killing people with accessibility issues, and that distort zoom in and out are simply not options...:mad:

23. blow45 macrumors 68000

May I ask what you are using the t221 with, is it a mini or a pro?

Also, if anyone is running ml dp 4 on an imac and they want to get back on us on how hidpi is working out for them it would be good to hear from them.