Has anyone actually HAD to use Time Machine yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fluidedge, Feb 13, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I've not once had the need to use it. I back up, and i back up but i've not restored anything yet?

has anyone found Time Machine to be a lifesaver (or a job saver!) when they 'accidentally' deleted something?

(i know some find it useful for full system restores etc, but it's touted as being a feature that helps retrieve the odd document)

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I've had a few photos and/or files restored with it from more than a month prior. And a few folders too, all over wireless too.

3. JonDann macrumors member

JonDann

Yep just did a clean install after 10.5.2 killed many things, including the Window Server. It worked impeccably! Just reintsalled and used the migration assisstant.

Means I didn't lose all the code I've been working on for a few months.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I did a file restore of some notes I took. That's it? :D

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I used it the other day to find a .dmg I deleted so I didn't have to waste time downloading it all over again.

6. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I am pretty sure its a choice, so I have never been forced to use it but I have chosen to recover a few photos. But it got annoying after a while and I just do entire HDD backups every monday night.

7. jakeopolis macrumors member

same here, 10.5.2 destroyed my computer so i used a time machine restore. worked great.

8. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Sure have-

Saved an entire wedding shoot that I did for a friend. He lost his master discs of hundreds and hundreds of photos and lots of photoshop edits. Just flew back to my last editing day and voila! Restored.

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I've used mine to restore my system and to grab a few old deleted files. It works great!

10. PURCELL429 macrumors member

I tried to backup, and time machine freezes up before it finishes every time. I reinstalled twice, and still no luck. I try to move folers over one by one, and progress stops before it finishes. Any idea on what to do?

11. Stratification macrumors regular

Saved me a few hours of rebuilding my Adobe Flex setup. It defaulted back after an install of a testing version, 2 minutes in Time Machine and I was back to my carefully set up install.

12. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Funny how most people are using Time Machine to solve a problem they have had with Apple software itself, rather than a deleted file, but at least the facility is there and it works properly.

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

14. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Definitely used it on a couple of occasions. My girlfriend neglected to ask me before she deleted "that pile of pictures icon...something about iphoto library?"....in other words she deleted my entire iPhoto library. Couple minutes later, all was good.

Needless to say, she doesn't get to touch my computer anymore :cool:

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

I exported my work (Lotus Notes) address book and then tried to import it into my home Address Book (on my MacBook Pro).

End result was horrible.

So from inside of Address Book, I used Time Machine to recover everything to how it was before I started dicking around. :)

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

how could it be annoying? You set it and never have to look at it again if you don't want to.

I haven't had to use it yet, no. But it does give me a nice feeling of security, knowing that I can't screw anything up too badly. :)

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I've only used time machine to recover a file I've purposely deleted just to test it out. (I was bored :) )

However, I've only lost data a couple of times on my Mac, and both times it made me wish I had something like Time Machine! Backups via FW400 are always fast, really I only notice the backups because my external drive gets pretty noisy (which is just another reason to get that FW800 G-tech). ;)

What do you mean by 'moving' folders over? Unless you're talking about selecting particular folders to back up in the preferences, I can't see why you'd have to do this.

18. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have yet to have used it in a way that could not have been via another method, but it is certainly more convenient than looking around for files.

I am happy to have it and glad I use it.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

not exactly a lifesaver, but i deleted a video a couple weeks ago, later realizing that i wanted to see it one more time (a video transfer from my tivo). time machine restored it within seconds. more so, my new computer arrived yesterday after selling my mbp, and time machine had me up and running just like i was before in no time. i was actually amazed at how easy and how complete the restore was.

20. PURCELL429 macrumors member

I mean that a full restore won't work, so I try to restore say, my iTunes library, but stops halfway through and wont go any further.

21. swruler9284 macrumors newbie

22. 156457 macrumors 6502

For the dock, yes and for a movie which was corrupted by iTunes crap tagging system :mad:

23. Rooey macrumors member

hahaha. i wish i'd started using Time Machine before i upgraded to 2008.

24. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Well Im using it on my laptop and it doesn"t start backing up until after about half hour of sitting there, and I don't like having it just sitting there as i'm traveling about.

25. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

Used it for a newsletter my mum typed up when it corrupted. Saved her a lot of work :)