Has anyone actually used the MBP 13" with Final Cut?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NakedLunch, Jun 29, 2010.

1. NakedLunch macrumors newbie

Okay, so while the C2D vs. i5/i7 debate rages on, has anyone worked with final cut, DVD SP, Soundtrack on the 2010 MBP 13"?

Does the little machine keep up? I know it won't render nearly as well as an i5/i7 (and I'm not worried about Motion).

I'm coming from a dual 1.8 ghz power mac G5 (R.I.P.) and hoping to see a decent speed bump.

Reason I'm asking: I'm in a money crunch right now so I'd like to keep costs low as possible. I should be in the clear financially within the year (for the next wave of processors/updates) and plan on updating when that time comes.

Anyone actually used this machine with these apps? I know the specs but I want to hear a "real world" assessment.

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I got a 2009 13uMBP 2.53 4G ram and I use FCP, Compressor and DVD SP for my part-time job. And yes, it works perfect - no lag time, no crashes.

Of course I got a 7200 rpm scratch disk hooked up through my FW 800. But I have no complaints. Yes, I would love more processor power and a bigger screen. BUT this gets the job done just fine.

I'm very happy with my computer

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

I use Final Cut Express regularly and it runs great. I'm under the impression FCE and FCP are pretty similar requirement so take that as you will.

4. NakedLunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies and the peace of mind.

5. wdevn macrumors newbie

I use FCE on a 15" MacBook Pro i7 and it's very stable as well as fast. I've used this setup in a war zone to create video reports without any bugs.

6. mk1ap macrumors member

Read the topic more carefully.

7. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

Why cant't people read the system requirements for the software they are thinking of? And why wouldn't any modern computer cope with a normal task as video editing? What are they thinking?

And if you are coming from a dual G5 1.8 that can cope with the task why wouldn't a more than five years newer computer do the same?

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

There's a difference between doing something and doing something well.